Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Possible community involvement/charity event--bikes for Iraq/Afghanistan EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Possible community involvement/charity event--bikes for Iraq/Afghanistan EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Possible community involvement/charity event--bikes for Iraq/Afghanistan EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Possible community involvement/charity event--bikes for Iraq/Afghanistan EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Possible community involvement/charity event--bikes for Iraq/Afghanistan EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Possible community involvement/charity event--bikes for Iraq/Afghanistan

+2
thedude76
Jonesy
6 posters

:: Community :: The Club

Go down

Possible community involvement/charity event--bikes for Iraq/Afghanistan Empty Possible community involvement/charity event--bikes for Iraq/Afghanistan

Post by Jonesy Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:42 am

Okay, so I've had this idea brewing around for a while now for something to do for the kids in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The idea is to get bikes into the hands of Iraqi and Afghan kids and youths. The way I envision doing this is through the US or Iraqi/Afghan patrols there.

The plan is this:
-We collect old or discarded children/youth bikes
-We tune them up, get them running again
-We box them up and send them via MPS to a POC downrange who unpacks them, turns the handle bar straight, airs up the tires and then gives them out to Iraqi/Afghan kids while on patrol (or provides the bikes to a unit actively involved in patrolling)

Here's what it does:
-Gets bikes into the hands of these kids who might not otherwise have one
-Gives the IP/ANP/IA or US soldiers soemthing to give out to the local populace to help win hearts and minds
-Gives us a good cause to associate our name with
-Gives us a good excuse to set up a booth on base (to collect old bikes) and get our name out

Here's what it requires:
-Downrange POCs willing to do their part--recieve the bikes, do the basic unpacking, and distro them to patrolling units
-Some time on our part Collecting old bikes, fixing them up, and packing them for shipment
-Old bikes, boxes for shipping

The way I see it happening is that we set up a booth at the KMCC and ask folks to bring by their old youth/child bikes instead of throwing them away, or listing them for five bucks on RYS. We can also offer to pick up the bikes as well, if they leave us their address and a good phone number to contact them. Of course while we're set up we'l be telling anyone who will listen alll about our organization etc...

Then, once we've collected the bikes, we get together a team who can do some basic wrench turning, get the bikes back in operation as needed, box them up and ship them.

Based on how it goes the first time, we can decide if it's worth pursuing further.

I'm willing to be the primary coordinator on this.

What do y'all think?

Jonesy
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Possible community involvement/charity event--bikes for Iraq/Afghanistan Empty Re: Possible community involvement/charity event--bikes for Iraq/Afghanistan

Post by thedude76 Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:09 am

It sounds like a good plan. We could also put an add in RYS to collect old bikes. It would be nice to start collecting and storing them somewhere. Does anyone have room to donate? Maybe we could talk to Frank about getting some boxes. We coulkd also donate them to a local charity.
thedude76
thedude76

http://www.chainlove.com

Back to top Go down

Possible community involvement/charity event--bikes for Iraq/Afghanistan Empty Re: Possible community involvement/charity event--bikes for Iraq/Afghanistan

Post by spookyload Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:43 am

We used to do this at my last base for an orphanage in Honduras every xmas. AFSOC would actually fly a plane downrange to distribute them as well. The limiting factor is parts. Most bikes will require parts for broken wheels, rusted bolts, etc. The out of pocket cost will skyrocket. We had a local shop that donated basics such as tubes and tires for kids bikes. Sadly most folks will donate bikes that aren't even safe to ride and have been neglected for years. Almost using it as a free bike disposal.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:11 pm

I have the first two bikes (1 BMX & 1 Kids MTB) for donation. They are ridable but require some minor things which I'm pretty sure I already have. I also have a third, an old FS MTB that requires a lot of work...
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:20 pm

I think good cannibalization is the key... those bikes that we get that are just UNRIDEABLE... we take the good parts we can off of them.

As far as space... I'm really not sure what the response is going to be like... this is one of those things that could yield a half dozen bikes altogether, or we could be at over a hundred after one day of effort... That's the one really unpredictable thing with this type of project... the response.
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:29 pm

I could take some but they will be stored out doors under a roof...
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by Gmoney Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:33 pm

I could probably get some pallets set aside to send them to where ever. The squadron loves charity.
Gmoney
Gmoney

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:47 pm

I forgot to add that my tools and workstand along with some hands that are waiting to get dirty again are more than available for help. I love working on bikes, and the five I have here can have nothing else done to them that I can justify (always room for new parts). For that matter if anyone has issues with their rig, drop me a line and I am more than willing to help.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianLask Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:46 pm

I have room to store the bikes. I like the idea as well, assuming I don't end up storing 100 kiddie bikes in my house.
Let me know.
BrianLask
BrianLask

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down