Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Flanders for the Sane EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Flanders for the Sane EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Flanders for the Sane EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Flanders for the Sane EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Flanders for the Sane EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Flanders for the Sane

+3
MOAR
velo-doc
Off the Back
7 posters

:: Rides :: Road Rides

Go down

Flanders for the Sane Empty Flanders for the Sane

Post by Off the Back Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:21 pm

Doing the Flanders cyclosport again this year but the usual suspects I normally go with either aren't here anymore or can't go. I'm looking for anyone that wants to go for a more leisurely ride (+/- 30kph on the flats but not too quick over the hills, unless I can get my hands on one of those souped up Specializeds that is). Only doing the 75km route, so as not to upset my stomach prior to Belgian Beer Night! Personally I usually go up on Friday, ride the cyclosportive on Saturday and then hit Brussels at night. For anyone who hasn't been there before, I have a tried and true method to watching the race the next day. I normally check out the start in Brugge and then hole up in the coolest and most secret garage cafe on one of the climbs near the end. If anyone on this sight isn't looking to hammer the whole thing and wants a more laid back alternative, let me know. FYI, I'm talking the Road ride...of course!
Off the Back
Off the Back

Back to top Go down

Flanders for the Sane Empty Re: Flanders for the Sane

Post by velo-doc Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:54 am

OTB,

Some of us are planning a similar weekend. We'll be staying in Brussels Fri/Sat night and doing the 75k road ride, so we should have a nice group for riding/socializing.

velo-doc
velo-doc
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MOAR Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:10 pm

Is it possible to register the day of the ride?
MOAR

Back to top Go down

Post by Slim Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:56 pm

MOAR wrote:Is it possible to register the day of the ride?

yeah, last year I just rode up and payed on the spot. It was really cheap and a great time. It was either 7 or 17 euro for the 75k. It was well marked and you basically can pick your distance as you go by following the correct colored arrows for the appropriate distance. There were 2 rest stops with fruit, pastries, and drinks.
Slim
Slim

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianLask Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:20 am

Sounds awesome. After the dissapointment of Amstel Gold, this may be something we do this April.

Never really ridden on cobbles, would this be something that could create a big problem?

BrianLask
BrianLask

Back to top Go down

Post by soto Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:06 am

This one is on my calendar, but is still a maybe depending on spring break with the family. I have done it 2 years now and love the cobbles and steep climbs. You have to do it for the Muur.

Brian, the cobbles will shake the #@$!@# out of you if you put too much air in your tires. Hopefully it won't be raining either.
soto

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:02 am

There is a MTB option as well for this. The cobbles look a lot better with a bike with some squish in it.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by Off the Back Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:09 pm

BrianLask wrote:Sounds awesome. After the dissapointment of Amstel Gold, this may be something we do this April.

Never really ridden on cobbles, would this be something that could create a big problem?

If you can keep a little speed over the cobbles they are really no problem. I just always feel like I broke my bike once I get off of them because it feels weird after the constant brain jarring. The cobbles of Flanders are much smoother and more forgiving than those of Roubaix. Usually, only 2 flat sections and 2 of the 5 climbs on the 75km route are cobbled (Kapelmuur [the Muur] and Bosberg). Other than that the Leberg, Berendries and Tenbosse are as smooth as a baby's bottom...but a bit steep. I don't think they have posted the route for this year yet. In the years I have done it, the 75km parcours hasn't changed much. All of that said, I still do change to a 25mm tire for the day.

FYI, in three years trying I've never been able to sign up for Amstel. They go so quick and allow less people on the route. Flanders will be you and 17,000 of your best friends. No matter what though, the race the next day is ALWAYS a blast!
Off the Back
Off the Back

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianLask Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:06 pm

Sounds awesome. We will probably get some of the 25mm tires (for both) and be ready to go.

Where are people staying? We stayed in Brussels when the Tour rolled through there, but wouldn't mind staying closer to the start.

The wife is probably riding as well, anyone elses' significant other riding?
BrianLask
BrianLask

Back to top Go down

Post by Off the Back Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:38 pm

I always stay at the hotel Erasme which is in between the cyclosport start and Brussels (on the west edge of Brussels) and a 5 minute walk to the train station that goes into Brussels. It's about a 20 minute drive to the cyclosport start in Ninove and about 1 hour to the race start in Brugge. A bunch of people from this club have stayed there in the past but I think most have migrated toward Brussels lately. It's not great or bad but there are a couple postives. 1. The restaurant is good. And 2, the place will be full of cyclists this weekend, so they sort've cater to us. I'm not sure if this is a testimony to the place but the Mavic Race Service Support team has stayed there the last couple years. Anyway here is a hyperlink to it:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I am sure others will have good places too. The group that stayed in Brussels last year wrote a lot of good things about the place.

As for my significant other. My girlfriend went last year, but didn't ride it. I was hoping she would this year but unfortunately she will be studying for her finals at that time and probably won't make it.
Off the Back
Off the Back

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianLask Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:14 am

Route are posted for Flanders:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

BrianLask
BrianLask

Back to top Go down

Post by Off the Back Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:52 am

$%@&! They took out one climb in the entire race, ONE, and it was the Berendries!!!!! Stupid Valkenberg... Totally ruined my whole race viewing plan! Ahhhhhhh!!!!!
Off the Back
Off the Back

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down