Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Anyone else managing to get any trail riding in? EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Anyone else managing to get any trail riding in? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Anyone else managing to get any trail riding in? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Anyone else managing to get any trail riding in? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Anyone else managing to get any trail riding in? EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Anyone else managing to get any trail riding in?

+6
MJ
Sharpbike
spookyload
jvanhuis
Zenkem
Jonesy
10 posters

:: Rides :: MTB Rides

Go down

Anyone else managing to get any trail riding in? Empty Anyone else managing to get any trail riding in?

Post by Jonesy Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks to a set of DIY ice spike tires based on advice from MJ (thanks Mike!) I've actually managed to get out ont the trails and even a little bit of singletrack today. Rodde for a couple hours near hochspeyer and KTOWN east area... much fun. My DIY tires did fantastci,a nd I'll detail more on that later or tomorrow.

Anybody else manage to get any trail riding in this mess?
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Anyone else managing to get any trail riding in? Empty Re: Anyone else managing to get any trail riding in?

Post by Zenkem Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:42 pm

Nope, my bike is still at Frank's for warranty work and I'm in awaiting parts status for the 29er. But I'm thinking this is a cheap and east DIY way to get snow tires:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Anyone else managing to get any trail riding in? Empty Re: Anyone else managing to get any trail riding in?

Post by jvanhuis Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:12 pm

Please, share the DIY tires. I resorted to a run today just to get on the trails but would really rather be on the bike.
jvanhuis
jvanhuis

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:12 pm

Hmm...that looks interesting Mark. I think the cold and contact with the ground would cause them to break pretty fast though.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:57 pm

spookyload wrote:Hmm...that looks interesting Mark. I think the cold and contact with the ground would cause them to break pretty fast though.

I'm sure if you carry a pocket full of extras you'll be able to make it through the ride...
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharpbike Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:14 pm

Sorry but I will stick to the trainer or roads until the trail is better!
Sharpbike
Sharpbike

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:33 pm

Ok illpost instructions shortly...(or maybe tomorrow...)
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by jvanhuis Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:39 pm

Tomorrow is OK, I won't be riding much tonight...
jvanhuis
jvanhuis

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:45 pm

spookyload wrote:Hmm...that looks interesting Mark. I think the cold and contact with the ground would cause them to break pretty fast though.
Not sure about the zip tie job, but my DIY (or rather Mike's) has proven through four hours of riding so far.
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:16 pm

Jonesy wrote:
Not sure about the zip tie job, but my DIY (or rather Mike's) has proven through four hours of riding so far.

I'm with Sharp...I'll stick with the Trainer!!!
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:08 pm

Glad that's working for you Jonesy! I rode my last set for three seasons in AK & UT and gave them to a friend when I left - should hold up well.

We will have to ride again soon.
MJ
MJ
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Gmoney Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:18 am

Rode up at the Castle a few days ago.
You guys just gotta run some meaty tires! Laughing

Single track was off the hook! It was mofo'ing cold though!
Gmoney
Gmoney

Back to top Go down

Post by thedude76 Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:58 am

I got out yesterday. It was a mess. I ended up sticking to the roads and bike paths.
thedude76
thedude76

http://www.chainlove.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Steviepoo Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:11 pm

I try to get out every weekend in addition to commuting to work in Mannheim (40km round trip)

Proper tire choice is essential for having an enjoyable ride in the snow. Zip tied/spiked tires are good for getting grip on ice and icy, packed snow. For softer snow, wide tires will help you float over the snow while large gaps in the tread will prevent the snow from sticking onto the tire.

Personally, on my Stumpy FSR I run a big ole' 2.4" Fat Albert out back with a skinny 2.0" Dirty Dan in front. The Dirty Dan has very aggressive tread blocks and being so skinny it's able to sink down and bite in.
Steviepoo

Back to top Go down

Post by Road_Rage Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:18 pm

I rode a little yesterday and two things happened. One, I left my lungs on the Hermersberg hill, and two, I froze my toes off. Because of this, I think I need thicker socks or newer shoes. The new winter jacket worked real well. I repelled cold like bear skin. The sun came out for a little while, so I had to take advantage and get out there. I had a good time, but I cannot wait until Spring.
Road_Rage
Road_Rage
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down