Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Friday Training Holiday MTB ride EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Friday Training Holiday MTB ride EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Friday Training Holiday MTB ride EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Friday Training Holiday MTB ride EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Friday Training Holiday MTB ride EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Friday Training Holiday MTB ride

5 posters

:: Rides :: MTB Rides

Go down

Friday Training Holiday MTB ride Empty Friday Training Holiday MTB ride

Post by gsmolin Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:32 pm

Some of us are fortunate enough to work for the Army and have off Friday b/c of the training holiday.

As such, I'm planning to head to this place:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
which is 1.5 hrs away on Friday and riding the trails they have. I'd expect to put in about 4 hours of continuous cycling at a moderate pace. I'd do the black trail and either trail 7, trail 3, or maybe both, to cover about 40-50 km of distance.

starting point would be at the tourism office, located here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

my plan would be: drop my kids at kindergarten at 0730, on the trails NLT 0915, ride until 1300-1330, then drive home.

the rumor is that the vosges range is the shizzle for riding in this region, and that hte trails are clearly marked (although I'm bringing my garmin nonetheless). the rumor also is that these are dedicated MTB trails, not hiking trails that happen to be ridden by mountain bikers.

this could be a complete bust, or it could be something great. the only way to find out is get out there and ride.

Anyone interested?
gsmolin

Back to top Go down

Friday Training Holiday MTB ride Empty Re: Friday Training Holiday MTB ride

Post by Zenkem Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Hmmm, I'm thinking 'bout it!!! I notice there isn't much climbing, are the trails really technical or are they fast and flowing???

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by gsmolin Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:43 pm

you're right; there's not a ton of climbing, so putting in a lot of Km that day should be pretty do-able.

the best i can tell from the photos posted on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] of the trails around there, its pretty smooth singletrack. my hope is that the "red" trails are similar in challenge to rodalben, but i'm definitely going to check out the "black" trail too.
gsmolin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:28 am

I'm in for this unless my wife changes my mind for me. I'll give a for sure later tonight and then we can work out the logistics. Is this trail network public access or do you have to pay to ride???
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by gsmolin Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:37 pm

ok, sounds good. trail is public access, from everything I've read. obviously I'm planning on bringing some Euro just in case, and for a healthy serving of escargot.

VTT français est le meilleur!
gsmolin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:33 pm

Got the green light!!! How do you wanna do this, you wanna travel in one car. I have a rack for my truck but not sure if it's full suspension friendly, if not we could put your bike in the bed unless your transportation is more suitable??? What time would you like to meet, I have to drop my boy off at school @0700...
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:27 pm

Think I might be down with this too. Any chance of humming a ride?

That would be bumming...damn auto correct
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by gsmolin Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:00 am

I can use my WIFE's minivan that day and it has plenty of room in the back for 3 bikes so I can drive no problem.

Since I have to drop of my kids at kindergarten in Lambsborn, can we just meet there and you guys can park and we'll take off from there? Lets say meet at 0730 at the kindergarten?

Here's the exact location of the kindergarten: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sound good?
gsmolin

Back to top Go down

Post by jvanhuis Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:36 am

Hmmm, how 'bout room for 4 bikes? I've been looking at these trails all winter trying to find a reason to get down there and ride.
jvanhuis
jvanhuis

Back to top Go down

Post by gsmolin Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:54 am

sure, I don't mind trying to fit 4 bikes. I think that's about max, though! worse case scenario is we take 2 vehicles, but its a newer sienna minivan, so it can fit quite a bit in the back.
gsmolin

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:17 am

Thats what she said.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:59 am

gsmolin wrote:I can use my WIFE's minivan that day and it has plenty of room in the back for 3 bikes so I can drive no problem.

Since I have to drop of my kids at kindergarten in Lambsborn, can we just meet there and you guys can park and we'll take off from there? Lets say meet at 0730 at the kindergarten?

Here's the exact location of the kindergarten: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sound good?

I think we can do two 9ers, a 650 and Spooky's little BMX Very Happy Sounds like a plan, I'll make sure I have a full tank of gas in case we can't do it all in one vehicle...
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by Road_Rage Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:21 pm

I am green with envy. I have to work on training holidays.
Road_Rage
Road_Rage
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by jvanhuis Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Got the OK from the wife and arranged the babysitter, I'm in for sure. I'll show with a full tank of gas too, just in case.
jvanhuis
jvanhuis

Back to top Go down

Post by jvanhuis Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:27 pm

Could one of you guys please bring some chain lube tomorrow? I went to Frank's to pick some up, bought two jerseys and checked out bikes for my kid, totally forgot to get the chain lube. See you in the morning.
jvanhuis
jvanhuis

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:28 pm

[quote="Zenkem] and Spooky's little BMX Very Happy [/quote]

Forgot to mention I thought that was funny as hell. Look forward to seing you guys in the morning.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:47 pm

What is the address to the kindergarten? Much safer for me not to get lost if I can toss it in my GPS.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:52 pm

jvanhuis wrote:Could one of you guys please bring some chain lube tomorrow? I went to Frank's to pick some up, bought two jerseys and checked out bikes for my kid, totally forgot to get the chain lube. See you in the morning.

I hate when that happens Evil or Very Mad I'll bring a bottle...

spookyload wrote:[quote="Zenkem] and Spooky's little BMX Very Happy

Forgot to mention I thought that was funny as hell. Look forward to seing you guys in the morning.[/quote]

Just showing my luv for the 26er... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'll be dropping my son off at Queidersbach at 0700hrs then heading straight to Lambsborn. I hope to make it there by 0730hrs but then then there's always traffic...shouldn't be a problem...see y'all in the morning!!!
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by gsmolin Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:56 pm

kindergarten is here on the red carrot: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

the street is "in der lach", and there's a traffic circle at the end of the road. if you get to in der lach and drive to the end of the street, you can't miss it. i'll be in a blue minivan.

see you at 7:30!
gsmolin

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:31 am

Sorry for the last minute change. Wife had a migrane last night and woke up with it coming back. Needed to be at home if an ER visit is required.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:53 pm

spookyload wrote:Sorry for the last minute change. Wife had a migrane last night and woke up with it coming back. Needed to be at home if an ER visit is required.

Sorry to hear that, I hope she's feeling better!!!

On the other hand, we had an excellent ride today!!! For those who were scared away due to lack of Vert missed out on the never ending climbs with 30 minute (sometimes 45 min to what seemed to be hours) of Vert and 5 minute downhills (new brake really good BTW). THX to gsmolin for hosting an excellent yet painful ride today!!! Can you post the profile for today???

It's time for a nap... Sleep Sleep Sleep
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by gsmolin Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:04 pm

Good ride today. Wish there had been more singletrack, but thanks for coming guys. Definitely worth exploring.

Here's the GPS track. Ignore the first part, that was a ride I did this week around here. Subtracting that and the 400 ft difference between La Petite Pierre and my house, that's about 800 meters of climbing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Next time, "Singletrack Paradise" outside of Pirmasens.
gsmolin

Back to top Go down

Post by jvanhuis Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:09 am

Good ride yesterday. We stuck to the official VTT trails which were a little disappointing (much like the official mountain bike park trails around here), but there were many off-shoots and other trails (singletrack) that could be explored. Nice little town for an overnight too. This one deserves a second chance on another holiday/training day, don't think I would go on the weekend though, I bet the trails would be way crowded. More climbing than I was expecting, but nothing too steep, I brought the singlespeed and rode it no problem (so those of you that have seen me on my singlespeed now know you too can handle it no problem...)

Thanks George for setting this up and for driving, too bad we ran out of time for beers but had some last night to make up for it. An all around great day.
jvanhuis
jvanhuis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down