Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Outdoor Rec visit EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Outdoor Rec visit EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Outdoor Rec visit EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Outdoor Rec visit EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Outdoor Rec visit EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Outdoor Rec visit

+4
velo-doc
Sharpbike
spookyload
kstew
8 posters

:: Community :: The Club

Go down

Outdoor Rec visit Empty Outdoor Rec visit

Post by kstew Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:35 pm

Hello! Jim and I visited ODR this afternoon and talked to Stephen who is in charge of programs over there. He is very interested in working with us to coordinate group rides "hosted" by KMC cycling club and in return they could assist us with races, charity events and so forth. He is thinking the first group ride could be Sunday, March 27th and would probably be a 3-4 hour ride for beginners (one hour out, lunch/beer stop, one hour back with time to spare). He is also wanting to add weekday rides to the ODR calendar where we start somewhere in the local area (maybe even ODR) and ride for an hour or two and then have dinner. Any ideas for possible rides are welcome! Stephen is going on leave tomorrow and returns February 14th. We told him we would start plotting some courses since there are many of us who are familiar with the local trails. We also talked about coordinating races with ODR and are thinking July/August (most likely August) timeframe. Jim will post some more specific details. I feel excited about how our club is growing. Please post any ideas, questions, or suggestions!
kstew

Back to top Go down

Outdoor Rec visit Empty Re: Outdoor Rec visit

Post by spookyload Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:13 pm

That sounds like an amazing idea. Don't they usually charge for their events? Does that mean we would have to pay to go on ODR/KMC Cycling rides?
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharpbike Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:41 pm

Good Evening,

Here is what we need for Outdoor Rec. To start with a course that starts at the KMCC Outdoor rec center and Goes on a trail either fire road, not technical single track and asphalt. This trail will need to go out for about an hour to 1 hour 15 minutes at a beginner’ pace. After that time we need to have a place to eat weather this is a backeri or restaurant that is open Sunday afternoon. After a lunch break we can either head back the same way out or take a different way back. REMBER THIS A BEGINER and MY HAVE KIDS! Maybe 10 MPH

Here is what I need.

If somebody lives out that in the Ramstien area that could come up with a course Map it out. This way we can give it to Stephen when he returns. I told him that I will be the first person to lead the group. I would like to have to other club members to assist. This way if we have some people that want to ride at different speeds we can have a leader for each group.

The first ride is tentatively schedule for the 27th of March. Please let me know if you can help. If you know a route and don’t have a GPS let me know and I can ride it with you.

We are will need to have some intermediate level courses and then some advance courses. I have also proposed the F-trail for and end of the year ride.

Other thing we talked about was trip to Pro-level races which he really liked. You all know like what some of us are planning already go down Sat. ride the course and watch the race on Sunday.

Also talked about doing a Road ride to France has lunch and then return. He also liked that idea.

If you have ideas shoot them Kirsten and I so we can take them to Outdoor rec.

He is also willing to help us with putting on events at the KMCC like the idea of collecting money for the wounded warriors. The idea of riding trainers in the food court, we need an individual to take this by the horns so we can get it started.

We also talked about putting the a race on around on the perimeter road on the airfield. This will occur sometime in Jul, Aug or maybe Sep.

That sounds like an amazing idea. Don't they usually charge for their events? Does that mean we would have to pay to go on ODR/KMC Cycling rides?

No we would be the volunteer leading the event with a couple of benefits to be worked out. Like they pay for your lunch, this is still ongoing discussion.
Sharpbike
Sharpbike

Back to top Go down

Post by velo-doc Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:28 pm

I have already volunteered to be the Community Outreach Coordinator, so will be happy to continue with the plan for a roller ride at the KMCC to raise money for Team 4Mil...which will donate all their money to the Wound Warrior Fund. If we are able to partner with ODR for this event, without first gaining our PO status, then I'm all for it. We were holding off on the fund raiser because we wanted to iron out those details first. I'm in favor of doing some or ALL of the things which have been proposed, but we need to remember that we're a fairly small club right now and we should think about under promising and over delivering at this point...not the opposite. Thanks for taking the time to meet with ODR.
velo-doc
velo-doc
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:13 am

I know several nice routes heading out from the west gate. It's all fairly flat and is mostly improved multi use path or light fire road. Most of it goes through the woods with decent scenery etc.

I'll take a look at the map and see if I can't figure out a particuclarly nice one, then Jim, we can ride it together and you can let me know if you think that's what they're looking for.

Thanks,
Greg
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:16 am

Jim, when you talked to them did you ask about a possible club discount? I know that on a good bit of their stuff (especially their complete bikes) they have enough to wiggle about 15-20% without any problem at all.

Just something to think about... Not sure what the dynamics were when you talked to them, and if broaching the subject at this point would be detrimental to your efforts, but just figured I'd see if that was something we might consider with them.
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by kstew Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:59 am

In response to Chad we just sort of mentioned that was one of our ideas but nothing was really discussed in detail. Nothing specific was promised in terms of number of rides and so forth. I agree about not overcommitting ourselves--if for no other reason then to avoid burnout! He said he gets back on the 14th. In the meantime maybe we can figure out what we feel comfortable committing to and go from there (so that we're not asking the same small group of individuals to give up all of their own riding time).
kstew

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:18 am

Jonesy wrote:Jim, when you talked to them did you ask about a possible club discount? I know that on a good bit of their stuff (especially their complete bikes) they have enough to wiggle about 15-20% without any problem at all.

Most of their bike stuff sits on the shelf till it is put on sale at 10-15%. So I think you are pretty close on those numbers Jonsey.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by chrismyers2004 Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:03 am

All, sorry that I have been away for a while. We just got internet and stuff for our house. It is great to see you all are getting things set up with ODR. Please let me know what I can do to help.
chrismyers2004
chrismyers2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharpbike Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:15 pm

Jonesy wrote:
I'll take a look at the map and see if I can't figure out a particuclarly nice one, then Jim, we can ride it together and you can let me know if you think that's what they're looking for.

Let me know when you are ready and we can do the ride together and check it out. Of course maybe not a slow as the day for them unless I bring my 10 yrs old boy with me.

Thanks
Jim
Sharpbike
Sharpbike

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Okay... I rode sunday... part of the route I ended up going back onto roads for and I want to ride it again and see if I can't follow path/fireroad the whole way... But basically going out the west gate, taking paths etc to Hutchinhausen covers roughly 10 miles.... I saw a gasthaus or two in hutchenhausen so we'll haev to scout that out as well... If we do it together this weekend it'll have to be SAT early AM. If not, we cna always do it next weekend. That's if I go to the UCI cross champs...
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharpbike Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:08 pm

I am going to the worlds on Sunday.

What time on sat?

Sharpbike
Sharpbike

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:21 pm

Ok, so Jim and I are planning on riding one of the possible outdoor rec path-ride routes... We'll start from outdoor rec at 7:30 Saturday.

The intent is to map out a route for low-intensity outdoor rec rides, but there's no reason we can't make a group ride out of it if anyone's interested. After we map out the route, I plan on doing some additional mileage for about a total of 2:30 riding time.
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharpbike Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:55 pm

I will be there with my SS.

Sharpbike
Sharpbike

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:48 am

ss mtb or road bike?
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by kstew Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:11 am

I plan on being there too unless you guys are riding road bikes. If not I'll be there with my MTB
kstew

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharpbike Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:52 am

I am doing it on my Single Speed MTB. Look forward to see you there.
Sharpbike
Sharpbike

Back to top Go down

Post by Toto Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:17 pm

First of all, thanks to everyone willing to put in the effort for this. I started with the Aviano Draghi club from the start and had a blast. It took a lot of dedication from people willing to work hard and sometimes getting nothing out of it. You can count me in for whatever is needed.
I know a couple flat road routes around the base as well. With starting group rides its best to prepare for the worst. Most community rides we led were very slow, but people always showed up. We learned to carry two or three of everything since people will show up unprepared or just don't know. The key is patience and understanding.

I had great interest at McGuire leading group rides as well and found out that seperate paces would have been best. I am willing to help lead the rides once we get some routes set up. Unfortunatly I will not be able to devote much time until after Feb. I will keep in touch and try to get out to meet more of you soon. Unitl then "Keep the fun between your legs--ride a bike"

Toto

Toto
Toto

Back to top Go down

Post by Sharpbike Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:07 pm

Here is a route for the outdoor rec.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/66075904 Thanks Jonesy

Next time we ride the route I hope it will not be 23F degrees so that my water bottle don't freeze up again.

I would like to have some other routes to show them when he gets back.

So if you have any other routes please let me know so that we can do gps mapping of it.

I would like some with a easy single track also.

Remember beginners at first with a rest place for food and drinks. This will be conducted on a Sunday afternoon most likelly.

Thanks
Sharpbike
Sharpbike

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:48 pm

Sharpbike wrote:Here is a route for the outdoor rec.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/66075904

With 355 Ft of vert, this is right up my alley... Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down