Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Hello All - Due in Ramstein soon. EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Hello All - Due in Ramstein soon. EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Hello All - Due in Ramstein soon. EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Hello All - Due in Ramstein soon. EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Hello All - Due in Ramstein soon. EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Hello All - Due in Ramstein soon.

5 posters

Go down

Hello All - Due in Ramstein soon. Empty Hello All - Due in Ramstein soon.

Post by markfu Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:51 pm

Hello all Cool

I've been pointed in this forums direction from MTBR. I am a Brit soldier due posting in Ramstein and I will be there or thereabouts around the 22nd September. I've been down there the last couple of days sorting a fair amount of arrivals admin out. I had a very quick drive into Landstuhl and the forest on my way back to the motorway, and it is obvious straight away that there is a lot of riding potential in the area. I have a few days to sort my life out before i start work, and i'm going to try and get a couple of short rides in, most probably around Landstuhl to start with as i'll be riding straight from home in Meisenbach. I will definitely be venturing further afield once i'm settled in, but i want to sort myself a few local routes out first. Any pointers of where to start locally for some decent singletrack would really be very much appreciated Wink .

I'm currently just finishing my current posting up in Monchengladbach, it is about as flat as it gets around here, so it will take me a fair while to get my hill legs back, especially as because of the lack of any hills (Or even decent singletrack) my riding has took a back seat to xc running.

Anyway, just thought i'd say hello. Hope to catch up with some of you guys on the trails real soon.
markfu

Back to top Go down

Hello All - Due in Ramstein soon. Empty Re: Hello All - Due in Ramstein soon.

Post by Zenkem Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:59 pm

Welcome to KMC Cycling!!! The best way to start learning some of the local trails is to show up for the Tuesday and Thursday Group rides (see links below). Weekend rides are posted regularly along with local races and marathons...see y'ah on Trail...

https://kmccycling.forumieren.com/t800-weekly-landstuhl-castle-tuesday-1800-no-drop-mtn-bike-ride

https://kmccycling.forumieren.com/t797-weekly-thursday-no-drop-mtb-group-ride-gelterswoog
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:12 pm

Hey. Glad you made it to the forum. Lots of riding within easy riding distance of most of the villages. Weather is amazing right now, so take advantage for sure.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by markfu Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:13 am

Thanks for the welcome, and for those pointers.

Even though they are 'no drop' group rides, i think i'd better get out once or twice to get some semblence of hill climbing back. Also, having not ridden for such a long time i'll probably be like bambi on ice on any gravity assisted steep/rocky/rooty trails.

My rides are: An Orange 5 and a Gary Fisher Rig. Both need some serious tlc before i take them out properly. To that end, is there anywhere locally that does bike servicing?

And finally, i believe that i can get a bike park trail map from somewhere on camp. Does anyone know where?

Cheers

Mark
markfu

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:45 am

Here's a link for a map of the Phaltzerwald MTB Trail network. I would recommend you go with someone who has rode these trails the first time you go. As for the Group Rides, don't worry about your condition level. The whole point is to get folks out and excited about riding. The weather will start to turn soon and you need to get as much riding in as possible before it get's cold and the days are shorter...

http://www.mountainbikepark-pfaelzerwald.de/fileadmin/dokumente/PDF/flyer_2012_2.pdf
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by markfu Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:13 am

Cheers Zenkem. Not sure why i couldn't find that on the pfalz mtb site.

I'll post back on one of the group ride threads when i'm in and good to go. I don't mind riding in bad weather, mud is my normal riding environment when i'm in the UK...

See you soon.
markfu

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:48 pm

When you come for the group ride, ride your Orange! Those look like good bikes, never seen any up close though. I like stuff that is designed to be original, so many cookie-cutter bikes out there.

If you want to practice on the rocks and roots, the Tuesday ride is great. It is pretty short, and not much climbing, but the technical single track is fantastic. To build up your conditioning, the Thursday ride is good. There are a couple of 150 meter climbs that are steady and on good fire road, and the single track descents are unobstructed, making it a good combination for bringing your skills back online. When you are ready, there's Rodalben F-trail...

We have a super relaxed atmosphere, nobody is judgmental or conceited. We ride to have fun, because we love bikes and like to feel like kids out playing on the trail. No need to build yourself up, just come out and ride. Remember to post that you are riding a certain day, so that we know to expect you. If you run late, you wont show up to an empty parking lot if somebody knows you will be there. No-drop means no drop, even when unloading and assembling at the trailhead.
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by markfu Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:32 pm

I'm trying to post a pic of the bike, but don't think it's working properly. I can't put links up on here for the first 7 days of my membership.

Hello All - Due in Ramstein soon. 3739698898

The bike is a 2005 model, but at the moment i wouldn't change it for the world. It climbs ok for a single pivot and feels great on the downs. My rear shock could do with changing though.

I have a video of the F-Trail, and it's definitely on my to do list. I will definitely be joing you guys in either late September or early October.

Cheers.
markfu

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:49 pm

Outdoor Rec at the exchange sells the trail maps for Pfaltzerwald btw.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by jswinfen Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:41 am

Hello everyone,

Is there a link to where the Tuesday and Thursday rides? Do you guys ride the same trails on these days or move around from week to week?

Thanks,

Joe
jswinfen

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:47 am

Weekly MTB notification threads:
Tuesday ride
Thursday ride
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by markfu Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Hello all.

I am coming down to take over my house this Thursday, bringing a few bits with me, unfortunately my bike isn't one of them, but my running shoes are. I will probably be out for a trail run late in the afternoon with the little time that i will have. Does anyone have any pointers of where would be a good start point in the Landstuhl area? I just want to get out for a 5 or 6 mile run to loosen my legs off and get a bit of appreciation of what the singletrack and local hills are like.

I should be in a position to get out on the bike a week or so later.

Cheers all
markfu

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:20 pm

If you go to the castle, there is a monstrous map outside that shows the nordic cross routes in the area. It would be excellent trails for running as well.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by markfu Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

That's awesome Spookload, cheers for the quick reply.

I've been looking through the forum rides a bit now, and also at a number of videos of trails in the area, and my conclusion is.... man i'm gonna have some fun down here afro See you all soon.
markfu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down