Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
The Future of KMC Cycling Club and PO status EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
The Future of KMC Cycling Club and PO status EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
The Future of KMC Cycling Club and PO status EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
The Future of KMC Cycling Club and PO status EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
The Future of KMC Cycling Club and PO status EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

The Future of KMC Cycling Club and PO status

5 posters

:: Community :: The Club

Go down

The Future of KMC Cycling Club and PO status Empty The Future of KMC Cycling Club and PO status

Post by eurotrash Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:32 am

KMC Cycling Club
28 August 2013
Announcement:  The Future of KMC Cycling Club and PO status

The club meeting on 27 August was the venue for a serious discussion about the ideas vs. the realities of KMC Cycling Club’s goals, and ultimately, its purpose.  A thorough inventory was taken of what members expect out of the club, what they are willing to put in, and our accomplishments/failures over the past few years.  The topic routinely comes up, and we’ve determined that the value of official Private Organization (PO) status is, essentially, zero.  The writing has been on the wall for this decision for some time.

In idealistic terms, the potential to be of service to the community as a social club and to organize public events is unquestionably enhanced by PO recognition.  In realistic terms, we’re just not organized to serve the population in that capacity.

The pros and cons are evident.  Either we continue to work for installation access that we don’t use, or we simplify our existence by cutting our ties to the garrison and “go rogue.”  

Take the “Night of the Riding Dead” alleycat in 2012 as an example.  Club members collaborated with enthusiasm to bring about that event, making it a notable success for group participation.  One big issue was over club liability for hosting a street race.  In the end, it was decided that the ride would be unofficial, due to our PO standing.  It makes no sense that the most motivation that this club has seen since the initial setup ends up being off the books!  It seems the “rogue” attitude suits the KMC members better.

Another example of accelerated progress through simplifying organizational ties is the success of the latest edition of our club jersey.  When the club made the decision to eliminate sponsors altogether, life got easier for those involved in production.  The amount of extra effort to maintain associations with local businesses for intangible benefits just wasn’t paying off.  Dropping PO is another logical step toward a more successful, functional club.

What do members want out of this club, and what are they willing to put in?  The majority answer to the prior is simple:  a venue to meet others, find new routes and trails, and ride bikes.  The second part of the question is the one that hurts; the truth is, we are all busy with our work, families, and other forms of “life administration” that limit our individual capacities for commitment.

A path to a successful, attainable future for the club starts with focusing on our common goals- which is, in a nutshell, riding our bikes.  We have an excellent online presence with the KMC Cycling home page, forum, and Facebook group.  These have been invaluable resources for connecting, planning, and information sharing that culminate with actual group rides in almost every discipline and ability level.  The proliferation of sub-factions within the club shows that this is working- we have road warriors, road race preppers, winter ‘crossers, XC mountain bikers, race series dominators, trail riders, and gravity fiends that all successfully come together for recurring rides throughout the year.  This is the heart of the club; this is what we’re in it for.

Of course, meetings and elections will continue, and nothing will functionally change.  We will no longer have the obligations for minutes, treasury reports, annual financial statements, bank accounts, or joint liabilities.  And yes, we’ll still have club jerseys.

The next order of business is to vote on how we spend the remaining club funds.  Visit the upcoming forum thread and weigh in!

See you on the trail!
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

The Future of KMC Cycling Club and PO status Empty Re: The Future of KMC Cycling Club and PO status

Post by thedude76 Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:52 pm

If we are dropping the PO status, make sure to empty our account of the few dollars we have before you drop it. I believe there is something in the paper work we had to do for the PO status that states if the club disbands or drops the status that the CG or legal office or who ever takes control over the account and the money in said account will be donated. Without PO status we are not authorized a bank account.
thedude76
thedude76

http://www.chainlove.com

Back to top Go down

The Future of KMC Cycling Club and PO status Empty Re: The Future of KMC Cycling Club and PO status

Post by eurotrash Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:44 pm

thedude76 wrote:If we are dropping the PO status, make sure to empty our account of the few dollars we have before you drop it. I believe there is something in the paper work we had to do for the PO status that states if the club disbands or drops the status that the CG or legal office or who ever takes control over the account and the money in said account will be donated. Without PO status we are not authorized a bank account.
No action has been taken as of yet, other than the debate, historical discussion, and this announcement. thedude76, Jonesy, and any other stakeholder or signatory should be involved- please speak up. This didn't just happen on its own; it has been discussed at meetings for over a year.

As Secretary it is my role to post this announcement. This isn't meant to be a coup or power-grab. It is a seamless re-orientation of objectives, nothing more.

Our attempts to get involved with the USAREUR race series and the Soldier Ride have proven that collaboration with other organizations is a bust. Further, getting committed volunteers for any event, be it trail maintenance for SiS or simply showing up to meetings, has proven to be beyond the capabilities of our membership en masse.

What we are good at is putting together rides and hitting the roads and trails- there, we are immensely successful. It would be prudent to focus what involvement we can muster on getting out and having fun, rather than scaring people off with implied commitment and administrative rigamarole.

As for club funds, the eight members who engaged in the discussion (four of which were club officers) thought it would be a good idea to poll for how to “dispose” of club money. Ideas were to donate to the Fisher House, buy two kegs and drag them to Daniel P's house, have a pizza party, or to buy socks (Not fancy ones, just plain ones from the PX with "KMC" written on them with a Sharpie).
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:58 pm

I will reply in greater detail when I'm at a computer but the bottom line is:
I concur, and our legal options for club funds include pretty much anything above except the socks. The funds are ours to divest as a club, tgey don't go to the CG or any other rganization unless that is how we decide to divest them. I like the idea of a big party, and it is a perfectly legal option.
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by velo-doc Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:47 pm

Thanks for succinctly expressing the reasoning and intent behind our decision to end the club's PO status on RAB. I can confidently say that none of the things I am proud of seeing the club do over the last several years had anything to do with being a PO. As you alluded to in the post, we are a diverse group of riders brought together by the common love of all things cycling. I would hate to see the true spirit of this club overshadowed by the drudgery of maintaining our PO status. I have to say that a new-found enthusiasm was evident last night as soon as the decision was made to sever ties with the Ramstein PO Office.

It's been my pleasure to ride with you all over the last 4 years, and I look forward to seeing you on the road or trail again soon.

Vive la rogue KMCC!

Chad
velo-doc
velo-doc
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by thedude76 Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:59 am

I think it is a great idea to drop the PO stauts. I think a end of summer season start of winter riding season kegger is also a pretty kick ass idea.

We could also just put the money in a box and save it for the set up fee the next time we do jerseys.
thedude76
thedude76

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:53 am

thedude76 wrote:
We could also just put the money in a box and save it for the set up fee the next time we do jerseys.
Well, there won't be anything saying we can't!
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:25 pm

I like the "buy socks and a Sharpie idea (Not fancy ones, just plain ones from the PX with "KMC" written on them)", of course BEER and Bikes would be more entertaining...
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:53 pm

How about a BUI:  Beer and Bike Rodeo party?  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:14 pm

OK, now I've got a computer and a moment or two to chime in...

AS I said, I concur with dropping PO status. It has not really enabled anything, and has been a bit of a hassle. In fact it has limited us from some things we have wanted to do... such as the Alley Cat race which we had to do as a non-club sort of thing...

I think the purpose of the club has always been to be web/virtual reflection of the real KMC cycling community. A place where people meet to discuss biking, get together and ride, or just get together and have fun... It still is that, and will remain that even without PO status.

Those of us that initiated the whole PO status, and semi-formalized element of KMC Cycling kind of went into it with the idea that it might or might not actually pan out into much of anything. We were basically trying on clothes that might not quite fit us... as it turns out, they don't so there's no need to keep wearing them.

I know some folks put a lot of work into it over the past couple years. I myself have at various times been very involved in the club, and at times less involved/committed, so I hope no one is really upset about the loss of the PO/formal status.

AS to what we do with the funds, again, we cannot buy things for the members of the club, (even white socks with sharpie markers), and I don't think we can put it in a box and hang onto it... although if we do want to maintain funds as a club I am willing to look into that option.

In the past year there have only been two requests for funds, and a maybe... one was for the fitting kit, which we could do, the other was to pay for shipping for the individual items for the club members which we couldn't, and the other is the banner which has still not come to fruition... so I don't really know that we need to maintain funds... if folks want to go in on jerseys etc. they can figure it out case-by-case... but if the general consensus is that we should keep the funds, I will look into the proper way to do that.

An event, including kegs etc. is a perfectly legal way to use our funds, and the option I vote for if we decide to divest our funds.

As the person whose name and signature are on the bank account, and the IRS forms, and the original application to become a PO, I would like to make sure we stick to the legal options for use of our funds!

Also as to the future organization of the club, I recommend we have just one elected office: president. We keep the election simple and the president's main role is to call for meetings, lead votes on issues that require it appoint a webmaster and forum manager as needed etc. etc. Then if folks want the club to do something (i.e. a race etc.) they simply take it on as a project, lead the participation in that project, organize it etc. on behalf of the club.... As long as those initiating projects on behalf of the club keep the rest of the club informed here on the forum, and post up for forum-based votes on any issues/decisions that might need it, I think we can keep the club moving forward quite simply, and still based on general consensus.

Sooo... when's the kegger/bike rode... maybe with some bike polo thrown in....
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by thedude76 Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:27 pm

end of season Ftrail ride and then throw a bash at Dan B's place with a buffet afterwards.
thedude76
thedude76

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:10 pm

thedude76 wrote:end of season Ftrail ride and then throw a bash at Dan B's place with a buffet afterwards.
Hmmmm two of my favorite things in the world.... F trail and a buffet! I'm in!
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down