Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Hello all! New in Landstuhl and Germany period. Interested in beginning MTB! Advice welcome! EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Hello all! New in Landstuhl and Germany period. Interested in beginning MTB! Advice welcome! EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Hello all! New in Landstuhl and Germany period. Interested in beginning MTB! Advice welcome! EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Hello all! New in Landstuhl and Germany period. Interested in beginning MTB! Advice welcome! EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Hello all! New in Landstuhl and Germany period. Interested in beginning MTB! Advice welcome! EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Hello all! New in Landstuhl and Germany period. Interested in beginning MTB! Advice welcome!

3 posters

Go down

Hello all! New in Landstuhl and Germany period. Interested in beginning MTB! Advice welcome! Empty Hello all! New in Landstuhl and Germany period. Interested in beginning MTB! Advice welcome!

Post by james.h.chalkley Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:25 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is James and i'm TDY for a year to LRMC. (Army medical liaison) Today I was offered a test ride on a fella's "Trek" mountain bike and I am hooked. I've ridden cheap little bikes in the $100 range but this bike blew it away. The gentleman told me he paid a little less than 500 for it at the BX on Ramstein AFB. I am definitely going to buy a mountain bike with my next paycheck in 2 weeks. I also plan to purchase a road bike before long, but the priority is the mountain bike as I have seen a lot of trails surrounding Landstuhl Regional Medical Center. I've been here a week and don't know to many people here yet but i'm looking for some advice on what/where to purchase. If you're in the area and wouldn't mind showing me some trails or even helping me pick out a bike that would be awesome. I forgot to mention, looking to spend no more than 600-700 initially..

Last edited by james.h.chalkley on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I forgot to mention, looking to spend no more than 600-700 initially..)
james.h.chalkley

Back to top Go down

Hello all! New in Landstuhl and Germany period. Interested in beginning MTB! Advice welcome! Empty Re: Hello all! New in Landstuhl and Germany period. Interested in beginning MTB! Advice welcome!

Post by Zenkem Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:33 pm

Welcome to KMC Cycling!!! The first thing you need to do when purchasing a bike is to ask yourself what type of riding do you wanna do, then look at all bikes classed for that type of riding. Test ride everything from the top-of-the-line to the Department Store bike. This will give you an idea of what you want verses what you can afford. When it comes to AAFES, they carry the cheap rides and they have the expensive rides but fail to cover the middle ground. Wheelsport in Wasselberg is a good source within the local area where you can see a wide range of bikes and they’ll allow you to test ride them as well. I along with others here in KMC Cycling prefer to build our own that way we get what we want the way we want it. When in doubt, ask the question here on the forum and I’m sure someone will be more than willing to assist you. Hope this helps, Happy Trails…
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Hello all! New in Landstuhl and Germany period. Interested in beginning MTB! Advice welcome! Empty Re: Hello all! New in Landstuhl and Germany period. Interested in beginning MTB! Advice welcome!

Post by spookyload Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:48 pm

For some great deals, keep an eye on ramsteinyardsales.com
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by james.h.chalkley Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:21 pm

Well gentlemen at this point I know i'll be trail riding mainly around Landstuhl until I know the area. I believe what I want is a "trail bike" and I saw a few in the BX on Ramstein around the 4-600 range. At this point I just want something to get started and I can upgrade later. Also I looked up ; Wheelsport in Wasselberg and couldn't find anything. At this point I don't think i'll be building a bike until I have more knowledge of what I want. I have a terrible habit of getting to many "projects" going. However, I will keep that in mind because i'm sure once I start riding and have more knowledge i'll be willing to invest more $.

The only issue with remstinyardsales.com is that by the time I research a bike and decide if I am interested it's most likely gone already. The other issue is with such a minimal amount of knowledge at this point I would not be sure if what i'm getting is actually worth it. However I check the site out at least once a day.

I appreciate the advice/help gentlemen but i'm going to try to find someone here at LRMC with some free time to assist me with finding a bike.
james.h.chalkley

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:45 pm

james.h.chalkley wrote:I looked up ; Wheelsport in Wasselberg and couldn't find anything. At this point I don't think i'll be building a bike until I have more knowledge of what I want.

Here's the link to Wheelsports..get yourself a bike and show up to the Group Rides and someone is sure to point you in the right direction. Oh, a few of us work at LRMC as well...

http://www.wheelsports-weselberg.de/

Sent you a PM!!!
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by james.h.chalkley Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:27 pm

Outstanding. I'll definitely stop in or call you tomorrow. Thanks!
james.h.chalkley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down