Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
KMC Cycling Club Jersey EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
KMC Cycling Club Jersey EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
KMC Cycling Club Jersey EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
KMC Cycling Club Jersey EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
KMC Cycling Club Jersey EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

KMC Cycling Club Jersey

+6
Jonesy
Road_Rage
velo-doc
Zenkem
gsmolin
MJ
10 posters

:: Community :: The Club

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

KMC Cycling Club Jersey Empty KMC Cycling Club Jersey

Post by MJ Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:11 pm

At our 31 August Club meeting we discussed redesigning the club jersey. I volunteered to coordinate this effort. Our initial jersey project took some time, and changed like a chameleon. We are going to establish some hard targets this time for design, selection, and ordering. In order to do this effectively a few decisions need to be made. The Club has already decided to remove sponsors from the jersey. The remaining elements of the existing jersey can be retained or discarded, based on the desires of the club. It has been noted that the red and white color scheme is pretty distinct, especially when KMCC riders are leading the pack. Since color selection is the foundation of the jersey, we need to make a decision to keep the red, white, and black or select new colors. Other notable design elements are as follows:

The pig on a bike – Keep the exact same logo, keep the image but a different design, or discard the pig?
German and American Flags – keep them as arm bands, keep flags in the overall design, or discard one or both flags?
Font – keep the same font or open to any font.
Club Name and Website – How many times do we want the club name to appear on the jersey and if we include the “.com”?
Club Slogan – “Wer Rastet, Der Rostet.”

I would like to open this up for comment opposed to a formal vote. After the comment period is over, we can establish some design parameters and move forward. Based on the feedback we will determine the best way to select the final design and push forward to production.

Please give some thought to these items, and provide your comments by August 15th. Our current jerseys were done by Northwave. We can stay with them or find another source. I will be doing some market research so when it comes time to finalize the design, we have a good idea of availability and price per piece. Please PM me or post on any preference or experience you have for a jersey supplier.

Mike
MJ
MJ
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

KMC Cycling Club Jersey Empty Re: KMC Cycling Club Jersey

Post by gsmolin Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:35 pm

on the topic, does Frank's still have any of the old ones left?

i was downrange when the order was placed so I'd like to get one for the Bamberg race to represent.
gsmolin

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:32 pm

gsmolin wrote:on the topic, does Frank's still have any of the old ones left?

i was downrange when the order was placed so I'd like to get one for the Bamberg race to represent.

Frank dose have some jersey's, mostly small sizes and a few of the larger but none of the largest. They are on a rack in the store for everyone to look at so I would recommend you call or stop by to see what they have.

Here's my input for the new jersey:

The pig on a bike – Keep the Pig in some shape or form
German and American Flags – like it/keep them on the arms
Font – no preference
Club Name and Website – keep it in some shape or form
Club Slogan – “Wer Rastet, Der Rostet.” like it/keep it
Colors - no preference
Find another source...Italians are small people
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by velo-doc Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:03 pm

Mike,

Thanks for getting the ball rolling early with this.

Here's my input:

Pig on bike – Like the pig on a bike, would be open to more artistic design...but I'm no artist.
German and American Flags – Keep it in the present form. Looks best at the very end of the sleeve
Font – no preference
Club Name and Website – The name should really be the main focus of the design, since we are removing sponsors. Definitely have the .com somewhere, but not everywhere the name is displayed.
Club Slogan – “Wer Rastet, Der Rostet.” I'm ambivalent about this one. Don't love it...don't hate it. Seems to me that we have to explain it all the time, and when we do, we get luke warm reactions. I'm up for seeing what people can come up with.
Colors - I like the red, white and black, but how it's put together makes all the difference.
I am interested in other suppliers.

Chad
velo-doc
velo-doc
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Road_Rage Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:31 pm

Last edited by Road_Rage on Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Road_Rage
Road_Rage
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:33 pm

Here's my two cents:
-logo: I like the pig on a bike, and the tradition of the club has been to include a pig on the design. My feelings ain't hurt if we redesign the logo, but I think it should still involve a pig... Preferably on a bike!
-the motto "Wer Rastet, Der Rostet." I think this is a great motto for a cycling club. It's what we as cyclists are all about: moving, not resting! I have no problem changing our motto if there is a good reason, but change just for change's sake is as equally asinine as resisting inevitable change. If someone has a motto that better captures our spirit as a club, then by all means, let's do so, but let's not just change JUST to change it!
-colors: red black and white, nuff-said.
-as far as the name vs. .com, I also don't think it needs to be .con-Ed on every reference.
-font: whatever we use should be used in all applications: all clothing, all websites, all handouts, posters etc. it's what is known in the marketing industry as 'branding.' and it helps us to be instantly recognizeable. Since we have a font established, we should have a good solid reason for changing it.
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:00 am

I won't be here when the stuff comes, but I think the structures of the kit are fine. Keep the colors, pig, and font. The design itself with the big white bar could use a tech refresh though. For the mtb side of it, I would look to minimize white. Go with a more red and black jersey with white as the accent. Too tough keeping white clean in MTB. Only other suggestion is to get a club fit jersey this time. The race cut jerseys fit about 25% of the members well.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:49 am

This is great feedback. Keep it coming!

For those of you that have some design ideas, but are not graphic designers, here are a couple templates to print and doodle. Grab your kids crayons, a beer or some vino, and let that inner artist shine. Just remember to stay within the lines!

http://www.primalcustom.com/designtemplates/Raglan.pdf

http://www.champ-sys.com.au/media/file/MRJ001.pdf
MJ
MJ
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:22 am

Okay Mike, it's your job to make 100% of us happy 100% of the time with this... so here's my wrench in the works:
Brand- I like Northwave. Very good quality for the price. That says nothing about customer service, however.
Color- R/W/B, go with it. Maybe reverse the colors on the pattern, like swap black for white on the current design.
Design background- it's just okay, but I can't think of anything better. If we go with a symmetric design pattern, we'll look like every other club or team out there, so the asymmetry is a plus in the current one. Of course, we all look like packs of Marlboros on bikes. Menthols if you have a SiS DFL jersey. clown
Font- hate it, hate it, hate it. Looks like a garage sale flyer. I like altdeutsch, but with the color scheme we may look like the Bismarck flag. I would like to change the font, and we may have to explore outside of the Microsoft font pack to make it look good.
Pig- pig We need a pig (boar, actually) in some form. We could add flair to the current design with an emboss, shadow, or outline, you know- standard vector stuff. Easy to do. Contrast is important. I am also okay with some bitchin' tattoo art of a wild boar charging head on!
Sizes- They are what they are. I don't care how many XXXXs go before the L, as long as it fits. That's just vanity.
Flags- keep
Dot com- down the sides or shoulders, but chest and back should not have the .com
Motto- Agree that explanation is tiresome without a good reaction. I think the jersey motto should change for each jersey order, that way the last lot was the "Rostet Edition." This year could be a different edition. No ideas come to mind, but I like German. Hell on wheels, die hard, suffer for the cure. That kind of stuff.
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:15 pm

Somthing like this on the front since we aren't putting sponsors?

KMC Cycling Club Jersey Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0UAVi0_40D6_TnhDdNoeQlYhY6ZevYW71C21EbpplDa5NHlLH2oppWD3D
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Or this

KMC Cycling Club Jersey Hogheadfront_1308143976
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:40 pm

Sounds like we are pretty solid on the colors and some version of the pig. Here are a couple concepts to get the creative juices flowing... yes there will be text. Club name, motto, etc., whatever we decide on.

This one with the current flag set-up on the end of the sleeves...

KMC Cycling Club Jersey Idea_210

So I was thinking golf shirts here. Stripes of varying thicknesses, one side red, black, and gold. The other side red, white, and blue. One each, small flag on the respective side of the collar...

KMC Cycling Club Jersey Idea_410
MJ
MJ
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Road_Rage Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Liking the boar, but not the shirt scheme.
Road_Rage
Road_Rage
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by BigWheels Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:36 am

Really digging the boar and the way the design is heading. Argyle?? Less is more young grasshopper. As far as brand, it would be nice if they could make both race and club fits. Northwave quality is ok for the price, but I would rather purchase something more high end (either with NW or someone else) especially on the chamois end, as the last set really chapped my hide, no really. And as far as club cut, I probably wouldn't even buy one as I can't stand the way it feels.

Dot.com on shoulders only.

I vote to keep the motto and the flags.

BigWheels
BigWheels
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:42 am

BigWheels wrote:Really digging the boar and the way the design is heading. Argyle?? Less is more young grasshopper.

I was thinking argyle or possibly plaid. The red, white, and black would work well for this; with German gold and/or American blue as accents.

RR - I saw your designs and thought the pig you selected was a good idea. It really shows the kinder, gentler side of KMC Cycling! Very Happy Is a red, white, and blue kit your preference?
MJ
MJ
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

KMC Cycling Club Jersey Empty Hell yeah plaid

Post by BigWheels Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:51 am

Plaid would be good, then we could get matching caps from Walz.
BigWheels
BigWheels
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:57 am

Here are a few examples of plaid and argyle done in red, white, and black. Not having sponsors on our jersey gives us some latitude on creativity and style. Once we have the Club's pulse of the main design elements, we will start to solicit actual designs. Until then, these are just concepts. The alternative and to make everyone 100% happy is a DIY session with Hanes Beefy Tees, limited only by your imagination and the size of your crayon box.

KMC Cycling Club Jersey K_Munson_Front

KMC Cycling Club Jersey Wiggle-kilo-11-jersey-med

KMC Cycling Club Jersey Cache_400_400_cache_400_400_LongSleeve_back

and a pig i like:

KMC Cycling Club Jersey Boar_head_postcard-p239699946370893048envli_400

Last edited by MJ on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
MJ
MJ
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:01 am

As for brand...I have done orders with Primal. They have a custom store that works real well. You set up a team store, and members go in by themselves and order directly. Primal processes the payments and ships directly. The best part is they don't charge up front design fees and processing fees. Voler does something similar, but I really liked the primal store with our kit in Florida.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:06 am

spookyload wrote:As for brand...I have done orders with Primal. They have a custom store that works real well. You set up a team store, and members go in by themselves and order directly. Primal processes the payments and ships directly. The best part is they don't charge up front design fees and processing fees. Voler does something similar, but I really liked the primal store with our kit in Florida.

I think the team store would be a big help. Another benefit of Primal is the potential to get some money back for the club to do events like the Bike Rodeo, Solider Ride, or a charity. I'm inquiring as to the details, but check it out:

http://www.primalcustom.com/givesback.htm
MJ
MJ
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by BigWheels Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:57 am

Don't know about the plaid, but the argyle looks pretty good. Primal sounds similar to Voler but the giveback is a huge bonus. Voler's quality is on par with some of the best at a fraction of the cost, never worn Primal.
BigWheels
BigWheels
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:52 pm

I have a Primal jersey at SiS for those who would like to check out they're quality. They make good stuff...
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:58 pm

spookyload wrote:Somthing like this on the front since we aren't putting sponsors?

KMC Cycling Club Jersey Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0UAVi0_40D6_TnhDdNoeQlYhY6ZevYW71C21EbpplDa5NHlLH2oppWD3D
This!!!
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by velo-doc Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:20 pm

MJ wrote:KMC Cycling Club Jersey Cache_400_400_cache_400_400_LongSleeve_back

and a pig i like:

My favorite of the jersey designs...and if we make the circle around the pig into a wheel, we might have something.

Chad

Last edited by velo-doc on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
velo-doc
velo-doc
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:22 pm

velo-doc wrote:
MJ wrote:KMC Cycling Club Jersey Cache_400_400_cache_400_400_LongSleeve_back

I like this one.

and a pig i like:

Make the circle around the pig into a wheel and we might have something.

How 'bout a Chain Ring???
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by velo-doc Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:23 pm

Ya, a chain ring would work too.
velo-doc
velo-doc
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down