Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Air Compressor Advice EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Air Compressor Advice EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Air Compressor Advice EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Air Compressor Advice EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Air Compressor Advice EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Air Compressor Advice

3 posters

Go down

Air Compressor Advice Empty Air Compressor Advice

Post by gsmolin Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:54 pm

After floundering with trying to mount yet another tubeless tire on a rim today, I think I need an air compressor.

Any advice from folks who have one specifically how big of a one to get? I'm not running any air tools from it and smaller is better, but I don't want to get one too small that can't inflate the tire. What kind of flow rate should I look for?

Plus, a smaller portable one would be useful around the house filling up kiddie toys, etc.

PS The issue with the particular tire was that it didn't fit tight on the rim to begin with, and despite multiple rounds of the "Stan's shake the wheel dance" + soap suds + swearing, I had to go back to the old tire, which has a tighter fit.

gsmolin

Back to top Go down

Air Compressor Advice Empty Re: Air Compressor Advice

Post by Zenkem Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:29 pm

I would think any compressor with an air tank would work; small portable compressors usually don't push enough volume. If you want a compressor just to do you tires you can do it at a Gas Station or the Auto Hobby Shop or we could do it with my compressor. I had trouble mounting one of my tires so I wrapped a strap around the center of the tire so all the air would be forced to the bead...worked like a champ but of course I have a compressor, could not imagine how hard it would be with a floor pump...
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by velo-doc Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:37 am

George...let me know when you have the new compressor, and everything all figured out. I want to convert my wheels to tubeless :O) Definitely think that I'm the most technically unsavvy guy on this club!
velo-doc
velo-doc
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by gsmolin Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:13 pm

@ Mark: thanks. i think i'll get a compressor with a tank. i did some more research and there's some pretty small compressor/tank units out there.

@ Chad: no problem! i was a convert after trying to find a pinhole leak using a mud puddle a few years ago. since then, no flats + lighter wheels = win-win!
gsmolin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down