Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Push Rebuild or not? EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Push Rebuild or not? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Push Rebuild or not? EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Push Rebuild or not? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Push Rebuild or not? EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Push Rebuild or not?

+4
eurotrash
PB Matrix
spookyload
powerpro369
8 posters

Go down

Push Rebuild or not? Empty Push Rebuild or not?

Post by powerpro369 Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:04 pm

I have read a few blogs regarding whether Push Industries actually helps improve a Fox shock. Problem is I don't really know who to trust. This is why I have come to you guys (ladies, I use this term loosely). Anywho, I know that a few of you have actually sent off your forks and I would really like to know what you think of the outcome. As for you that have not sent them out, why? I would like to know the pros and cons. I have a 2010 Fox Float F29 RL. I am considering this option plainly because I have been having issues with my stantions sticking. I imagine that it wouldn't hurt to have a servicing and if there is a way to make them perform better then I am always game. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
powerpro369

Back to top Go down

Push Rebuild or not? Empty Re: Push Rebuild or not?

Post by spookyload Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:41 pm

I had a f80 RL done. My big reason for doing it with PUSH was they added compression damping for a bit more. My RL is now an RLC. If you do it, send it soon. They get backed up bad in the spring.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by PB Matrix Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:47 pm

Do not send a Fox fork to PUSH, they will not do a damn thing to it except change the oil and replace the seals for $165 or whatever they charge these days. If you pay an extra $36.00 they will shorten the rod for the air chamber piston by 10mm, this will help it use it's full travel better, but should be done for free as it only takes about 10 additional minutes to do. if your bushings are worn they will not do anything unless you pay for new bushings and most likely the entire stanction/steerer tube assembly. Highly not recommended for fork work.

Now, on the other hand, sending a Fox Shock will accomplish something, but there are other places that do the same things for cheaper.

Anyway, I have a Fox RL 29 that I have modified to a RLC with FIT cartridge, and know the Fox fork you have pretty well inside.

I recomend that you get the new low friction Fox seals from Jensonusa.com for $25.00, replace the oil, and have the air chamber size increased by 10 to 30mm depending on how you feel. Toxicholics could do this work for you. Or if you want, gather the parts, get me the fork, and I will do all the work for a six pack of German beer.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK258Z04-Fox+Shox+Low+Friction+Seals.aspx

Eric

PS also known as a PUSH hater on MTBR....
PB Matrix
PB Matrix

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:51 pm

Unless your bushings are sloppy, just do the seals and an oil change. I know it hasn't been long since we did the tape trick, but oiling the wiper reservoirs is something that should be done frequently. The definite downside to suspension is the maintneance, but it should be a labor of love. Separating the slider from the stanchions is easy enough. Dump the oil, wipe the assy down, butter it up, add oil, put together, and ride.
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:46 pm

powerpro369 wrote:As for you that have not sent them out, why? I have a 2010 Fox Float F29 RL. I am considering this option plainly because I have been having issues with my stantions sticking. I imagine that it wouldn't hurt to have a servicing and if there is a way to make them perform better then I am always game. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

First off, I don't have any Fox Suspension products and second I do all my own work. As a Power Pro troop I know you are capable of doing the same. If not, take it to Toxicholics, you'll have it back the same day and have a smile on your face to boot... Smile Smile Smile
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:10 pm

Toxoholics will charge you 100Euro for a rebuild. Fast, but will pay. Upgrading it yourself will cost you as much in parts as PUSH will charge. If you are tearing this down, take the time to upgrade it to an RLC. If you do decide to go with PUSH I have a coupon. They have done a fork for me as well as a shock. Easy as pie and they don't charge for shipping to an APO. Compare prices and you will see their service isn't that bad. I love toxoholics, but they are for short turn times and warranty work in my eyes. Too expensive for routine work. PUSH puts improved components in their rebuilds and you can get it tuned for you weight, not like Fox who tunes it for every rider weight.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by powerpro369 Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:47 am

Thank you all for you help! Thus far I am at a bit of a road block because you all seem you have both good and bad dealings with PUSH. Zenkem...I agree with you, as a Power Pro troop I should feel comfortable doing this. There is always something about working on your own equipment that highly challenges my confidence. With the option of modifying my air chamber (have to do more research on this) I would want to have someone show me their tricks.
Again, I really appreciate you all your thoughts.
powerpro369

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:48 am

Simple solution: go rigid. Very Happy
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Road_Rage Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:58 am

Road_Rage
Road_Rage
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by PB Matrix Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:29 pm

Excellent video,

Even I learned a thing or two...

Eric
PB Matrix
PB Matrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Gmoney Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:09 am

I have sent a 36 Van RC2 to PUSH. Felt fantastic afterwards. You have to be specific on what you want done, how you ride, what type of terrain to get the result you really want. When you factor in the shipping cost of seals, oil, bushings, your only a few dollars shy of what PUSH charges. I always replace the bushings when I do seals as well. Just my rule of thumb...

Now on the subject of your stickyness... Could it be the fact that your riding an air fork? Even a properly lubed and set up air suspension fork will not feel as smooth and will have a bit more stiction than a coil set up.

PS Im known as an Air Shock hater on MTBR...

Laughing
Gmoney
Gmoney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum