Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Road Biker Temporarily at Ramstein EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Road Biker Temporarily at Ramstein EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Road Biker Temporarily at Ramstein EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Road Biker Temporarily at Ramstein EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Road Biker Temporarily at Ramstein EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Road Biker Temporarily at Ramstein

4 posters

Go down

Road Biker Temporarily at Ramstein Empty Road Biker Temporarily at Ramstein

Post by PeterLC Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:53 pm

Hello,

I will be arriving at Ramstein next week and I will be there through the end of FY14. I only started road cycling last September and want to stick with it. I'll be posting the road cycling section looking for advice on my bike situation and hopefully find some group rides to join.
PeterLC
PeterLC

Back to top Go down

Road Biker Temporarily at Ramstein Empty Re: Road Biker Temporarily at Ramstein

Post by PeterLC Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:02 pm

Well, after looking around the forum a bit I am not sure where to post this question. My first obstacle to riding in Germany is my bike situation. Do I buy a case for my Diamondback Podium 2 and lug it with me on my journey, or do I (as I have been advised by my more experienced riding buddies) buy a bike there that I sell at the end of my tour there?
PeterLC
PeterLC

Back to top Go down

Post by RobB Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:11 am

Peter,

What you decide on a bike? When will you arrive or have you already?

Rob
RobB
RobB

Back to top Go down

Post by DuviVr6 Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:28 am

Well it all depends if you would like an upgrade? You can get one of these for a decent price after VAT: http://www.canyon.com/_en/

I always take my bike around when I travel so its personal choice. If you need an case I have one from performance bike, the big plastic one and it works fine. I also have a soft bag which is much easier to carry around but does not offer the same protection.
DuviVr6
DuviVr6

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterLC Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:35 am

I should arrive a week from tomorrow, assuming no issues with orders or flights. I have not yet decided on which route to go yet, but since I have not yet purchased a travel case for my bike, I guess I'm leaning towards purchsing a bike when I get there. Carrying my luggage place my bike on my two trip does not sound fun. I looked at the Canyons that DuviVr6 linked and they have some awesome bikes for 999 euro.
PeterLC
PeterLC

Back to top Go down

Post by RobB Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:26 am

Canyon builds some nice bikes. But they build to spec, which sometimes takes several weeks. Unless they just happen to have a bike in stock that is your size and has the components you want, you will be waiting for it to be built. I visited their shop - impressive place with impressive bikes.

Rob
RobB
RobB

Back to top Go down

Post by DuviVr6 Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:37 pm

Rob Canyon has gotten away from the build to spec thing and just have stuff in stock now. Unless you want the team model...

Peter, 999 minus 19% VAT  Cool 
DuviVr6
DuviVr6

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterLC Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:01 pm

I thought the website said the price included VAT...? Is that price only if you buy direct not from a local shop? If not, that is still a very nice bike for the price and I don't mind paying a little more so I don't have to assemble it myself. What about used? Is there much of a market for used bikes there?
PeterLC
PeterLC

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterLC Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:33 pm

Just got off the phone with the owner of my local bike shop and he recommended buying a bike there, new or used, if it's a significant upgrade and a good deal then I can ship it back, or bring it back with me on the plane.  If it's just a beater bike then I'll attempt to sell it before I leave.  If I can't find anything then have my wife take my bike to his shop and he'll ship it to Ramstein for me.  That sounds like a good plan to me (even though I suggested to him that maybe I should go the thriftiest route so I could buy a new bike from him when I get back).

A lot of my riding buddies are drooling over the prospect that I'll be able to get something there that would normally cost a fortune here.  Seems like that is unlikely, but we'll see.

So, yeah, definitely would like to know what the preferred bike shop(s) would be or leads on used bikes and then I can't wait to ride with you guys!  I'm still kind of the new guy (skill wise) in our club here and it will be great to come back from this trip having improved or at least not fallen behind where I am now.
PeterLC
PeterLC

Back to top Go down

Post by Road_Rage Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:34 pm

PeterLC wrote:Just got off the phone with the owner of my local bike shop and he recommended buying a bike there, new or used, if it's a significant upgrade and a good deal then I can ship it back, or bring it back with me on the plane.  If it's just a beater bike then I'll attempt to sell it before I leave.  If I can't find anything then have my wife take my bike to his shop and he'll ship it to Ramstein for me.  That sounds like a good plan to me (even though I suggested to him that maybe I should go the thriftiest route so I could buy a new bike from him when I get back).

A lot of my riding buddies are drooling over the prospect that I'll be able to get something there that would normally cost a fortune here.  Seems like that is unlikely, but we'll see.

So, yeah, definitely would like to know what the preferred bike shop(s) would be or leads on used bikes and then I can't wait to ride with you guys!  I'm still kind of the new guy (skill wise) in our club here and it will be great to come back from this trip having improved or at least not fallen behind where I am now.

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for but Frank's shop in Weselberg has many bikes on the floor and he can also order a bike for you.  He mainly deals with Orbea (Spanish bike), Cannondale, Ghost (German).

http://www.wheelsports.de/
Road_Rage
Road_Rage
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterLC Wed May 07, 2014 10:47 am

Alright, alright. So I arrived yesterday and can hopefully start looking for a bike soon. Will definitely be checking out Frank's when I get a chance, and I've been told there is at least one cyclist at the 603 AOC that I can talk to. While I'm definitely going to be doing road biking while I'm here it sounds like there is a good reason for MTB being so popular here (heard about a pub/tavern that is only accessible via MTB or hiking) so maybe I'll consider giving MTB a try while I'm here as well.

If anyone is interested in showing me around, maybe taking me by Frank's, I would definitely buy you a beer.
PeterLC
PeterLC

Back to top Go down

Post by RobB Wed May 07, 2014 12:00 pm

I'm in billeting too. I could run you down by Frank's on Friday evening or Saturday morning.

Rob
480-2597
RobB
RobB

Back to top Go down

Post by DuviVr6 Wed May 07, 2014 2:26 pm

PeterLC wrote:I thought the website said the price included VAT...?  Is that price only if you buy direct not from a local shop?  If not, that is still a very nice bike for the price and I don't mind paying a little more so I don't have to assemble it myself.  What about used? Is there much of a market for used bikes there?

To clarify on your message, all prices in Germany include the 19% VAT. You can get a form from Ramstein that allows you to buy articles without paying the extra tax amount. So pretty much any published price will be less 19%. Example the 999euro bike is 999-19% (189.91) = 809.09euro.

Canyon is only 1:30 ish drive from Ramstein.  Very Happy 
DuviVr6
DuviVr6

Back to top Go down

Post by PeterLC Fri May 09, 2014 10:21 am

RobB wrote:I'm in billeting too.  I could run you down by Frank's on Friday evening or Saturday morning.

Rob
480-2597

Sounds good, Rob. I'll give you a call when I get back to lodging after work.
PeterLC
PeterLC

Back to top Go down

Post by RobB Fri May 09, 2014 11:08 am

If I am not at work when you are done at work. I am in billeting, building 303 room 207. Call me there. I'm planning on riding tonight, unless I hear from you before I leave.
RobB
RobB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down