Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Broken Al Spoke Nipples EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Broken Al Spoke Nipples EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Broken Al Spoke Nipples EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Broken Al Spoke Nipples EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Broken Al Spoke Nipples EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Broken Al Spoke Nipples

2 posters

Go down

Broken Al Spoke Nipples Empty Broken Al Spoke Nipples

Post by airborne.s2000 Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:58 pm

I am sitting in my office waiting for my wife to arrive and take me home. I rode in on my Madone today, and when I got on my bike this evening, two of my rear spoke nipples broke, one right after the other. Crap.

roadbikereview.com forum chatter relates this issue to corroded Al, which kind of makes sense given the way the nipples broke (i.e. directly above the screw-in point of the spoke, and jaggedly). This seems especially true since I ride these rims in all kinds of weather here in Germany, and am sure that the rims have been coated with salty road spray numerous times. Anyone have any experience with this issue?
airborne.s2000
airborne.s2000
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Broken Al Spoke Nipples Empty Re: Broken Al Spoke Nipples

Post by DuviVr6 Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:43 am

I have had this happen before on a set of wheels I rode in sea water while I was in Key West (high tide). Even though I sprayed the bike off fairly well after I came home, after some time I had multiple nipples fail just like you describe. Only way to get them out was from the inside, because no spoke tool would hold it.
DuviVr6
DuviVr6

Back to top Go down