Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

December 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

My Resignation (don't worry, not under any sort of negative conditions)

:: Community :: The Club

Go down

My Resignation (don't worry, not under any sort of negative conditions)

Post by Jonesy on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:33 pm

Folks, I've had fun taking hte reigns, so to speak for a few months, and I've really tried to invest in moving the club forward, but I can no longer give the time needed.

Not that there's really all THAT much to this president thing, but some recent changes at work have left me in charge of our department, instead of being the deputy, while still pulling the duties I previously had. Now with a promotion on the horizon, it looks like this appointment will probably be permanent.

While professionally this great for me (it's basically exactly what I've wanted for several years), the increased workload and the inability of science to squeeze some more hours in the day, means something's got to give. It ain't gonna be family or work or riding, so sorry folks but it's the club involvement that will have to drop off.

So, I'll double check the bylaws etc. but I think the easiest option is to ask if there are any volunteers to self-nominate and we can vote on them... but What do y'all think?

Once we figure it out, I'll pass over my notes and club documents etc.

Basically presidency consists of organizing/calling meetings, making reservations for meetings, coordinating with the PO coordinator when we have on base functions, organizing clothing orders (have fun!!), and sort of leading/nudging the club forward on various projects etc.

I believe there is a yearly statement that needs to be provided to the PO coordinator, and I'll close that out For last year.

I'll still be an active part of KMC cycling, but can't be as involved as I have been.

Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Re: My Resignation (don't worry, not under any sort of negative conditions)

Post by Road_Rage on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:33 pm

Sorry you have to resign, but I know exactly how you feel.

I thought Spooky was our Vice-President? Based on the resignation shouldn't he automatically be the President.
Road_Rage
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:11 pm

I would likely be a bad choice for that as well with my deros in the fall. Better to get the election over now instead of later. VP is. Good fit for me for now. Who was runner up in the last election?
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:16 am

I believe the runner-up was Velodoc.

Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Quitter

Post by BigWheels on Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:59 am

We nominate and elect VP's for a reason, to fill in for and up to the term limit in case of the demise of the Prez. An option would be to hold early elections in spring/summer, as our Prez has quit, VP and Treasure have DEROS's this summer or fall, and all which comes when the club is attempting to be most active.

Congrats Jonesy on the permanent developments in your career, and I am just kidding when I call you a quitter, quitter.
BigWheels
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy on Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:43 am

BigWheels wrote:We nominate and elect VP's for a reason, to fill in for and up to the term limit in case of the demise of the Prez. An option would be to hold early elections in spring/summer, as our Prez has quit, VP and Treasure have DEROS's this summer or fall, and all which comes when the club is attempting to be most active.

Congrats Jonesy on the permanent developments in your career, and I am just kidding when I call you a quitter, quitter.
Believe me, I considered it carefully. The issues at work have been creeping on for the past couple months, and I figured it is best to step aside and let someone else take it forward than to try to continue and do a really half-assed job.

And believe me a do feel crummy about it, but like I said, I owe it to the club to leave it to someone who can really give it the time it needs.

I think the proposal of doing full elections might not be a bad idea. I do know that the by-laws (in conjunction with PO rules) state that the majority of the board can call for an election at any time by a majority vote.

What are other folks thoughts on that?

Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload on Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:18 am

I think we can manage through the summer without elections. Fall is going to be the time we need new officers. Didn't we just get you signed over on the bank account and such? I say we leave it how it is and you make it when you can. I can cover meetings that you can't go to, but the pain of getting things switched again isn't worth holding another election again.
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:20 am

BigWheels wrote:

I hope by quitting you are able to free up a few moments for bike polo, as I have found a court! Right behind the Red Cross in Kaiserslautern, next to the skate park is an asphalt basketball court! We would not want to interfere with your career progression or responsibilities, which bikes and fun have obviously taken a backseat too. If you can find the time we should make this happen. Everyone is welcome, quitters included, quitter.
MJ
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by thedude76 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:43 pm

spookyload wrote:I think we can manage through the summer without elections. Fall is going to be the time we need new officers. Didn't we just get you signed over on the bank account and such? I say we leave it how it is and you make it when you can. I can cover meetings that you can't go to, but the pain of getting things switched again isn't worth holding another election again.

I kind of agree with spooky.

THere are plenty of us out here who are willing to help out with things. I am sure if asked for help people would be willing to lend a hand.

Congrats on the promotion.

Mud, blood and beers!
thedude76

http://www.chainlove.com

Back to top Go down

Post by velo-doc on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:36 pm

My two cents, FWIW. I think we need to know what our bylaws state for situations like this. If we continually make decisions based on what a few of us think is the right way to do things, then there's no point in being an organized club. If there's no specific guidance, then the officers can decide on the way forward.

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the charter/bilaws handy. This would be a good opportunity to get it posted to the forum so that it is readily accessible in situations like this.

Chad
velo-doc
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:02 pm

velo-doc wrote:My two cents, FWIW. I think we need to know what our bylaws state for situations like this. If we continually make decisions based on what a few of us think is the right way to do things, then there's no point in being an organized club. If there's no specific guidance, then the officers can decide on the way forward.

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the charter/bilaws handy. This would be a good opportunity to get it posted to the forum so that it is readily accessible in situations like this.

Chad
Chad, I think you have a very solid point.

I don't have access to the final bylaws right now, I will on Monday, and I'll email them out. I never did crack the code on posting them to the forum or the website.

The early draft that I do have on my home computer doesn't specify situations involving a resignation. It just requires at least once a year elections of all officers.

Once I email the bylaws on Monday, we can figure it out for sure, but I think a single office election for pres would be a good idea. Then if that person is vacating an office we hold a single election for that office.

I'm pretty sure that the bylaws will allow for this. They more specific with HOW we hold elections, and not so much WHEN or WHY.

Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:06 am

Below is an excerpt from the Club by-laws.

They do call for a special election to fill a vacancy if an officer is unable to fill his or her term.

A five day notice is required.

Although it mentions a meeting, I think we've pretty much all agreed that tthis process can be done online through the Forum.

Anyone have a solid recommendation on how to proceed?

If not, My recommendation is we do a simple online election similar to what we did before. If the person elected will then vacate another position, we hold another simple online election for that position.

Bylaws excerpt:
ARTICLE I
DUTIES OF OFFICERS

1. The Board of Officers’ term will be for one year. In the event that an Officer cannot fulfill a complete year, a special election will be held to fill the vacancy. An officer elected by a special election will finish the term of the person that was replaced. If there were sixty days or less left in the vacating officer’s term, the officer elected by special election will continue to serve in that office until the following year’s election.

2. The President shall call special meetings of the club steering board. The President will inform the Secretary at least three business days prior to the meeting.

3. The Vice President shall assume the duties of the President in the President’s absence.

4. The Secretary shall maintain written minutes of all meetings. Any member of the Kaiserslautern Military Community Cycling Club may request a copy of minutes from any meeting, and minutes will be made available to the general club membership on the club’s website. The Secretary will maintain a record of members permitted to disperse funds.

5. The Treasury shall render a full and complete financial statement at every monthly and special meeting. The Treasury can delegate dispersing funds to any member of the Kaiserslautern Military Community Cycling Club provided that the Secretary has a written statement of delegation signed by the Treasurer and the member and after the Treasurer has coordinated the delegation with the Financial Institution involved.

ARTICLE II
ELECTIONS AND VOTING

1. The President will call a special meeting to order when electing an officer by special election.

2. The President will inform the membership five business days prior to Election Day.

3. When elections are held annually or through special means, members can elect to vote by secret ballot or via electronic mail.

4. The President shall appoint one individual to be the Election Commissioner. This appointment shall be approved by a simple majority of the members at a general meeting. The removal of the Commissioner from his/her office shall require a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the members at a general meeting.

5. The Election Commissioner shall be responsible for ensuring a fair election.

6. The Election Commissioner may appoint additional individuals to assist with his/her duties.

7. All votes submitted by electronic mail shall go to either: (a) an organizational electronic mail account (if available and if access can be sufficiently limited during the election to ensure the security of the ballots) or (b) to the Election Commissioner’s electronic mail account. The Election Commissioner shall make the determination as to which account will be used.

8. The Election Commissioner, nor anyone appointed by him/her, will not disclose for whom any particular vote was cast.

Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Electing a new president

Post by velo-doc on Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:37 pm

All,

This thread has gone silent for almost two weeks now. We are approaching the time for our next meeting. I propose going forward with a special election, as our bilaws stipulate. We could have the whole thing wrapped up in time to have a meeting at the end of the month, with a new president in place. Heck...maybe we'll even have enough members up in Belgium to have a meeting at the RVV!

Jonesy, do you have somebody in mind for the election official?

velo-doc
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy on Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:58 am

Spook has said he has no interest in the position, so I'd like to see if he can do it, since that makes him the most uninterested party.

Spook, would you mind?

It's not real complicated, you post a thread anouncing it, then recieve nominations via PM or email. Post the names in a thread so the nominated members can accept or decline.
Then post a poll with the nominated names as the choices in the poll. Make it anonymous of cozrse.

Like I said, if someone vacates a position to fill president, we hold a subsequent election for that vacated position.

Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:12 am

I will run with this. What deadlines do we want to set? Nominations through Friday, and voting through the next board meeting.
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:56 am

That works. The bylaws require a 5 day notice prior to the final election. I think nominations till Friday, and election until the following Wednesday or so, meets the intent.

Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down