Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

January 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Bikes for Bagram

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bikes for Bagram

Post by Jonesy on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:24 am

OK so an idea I had previously has now come to a potential reality.

Some of y'all know George, who is deployed to afghanistan.

George is working at a hospital there where a good 10% of their local national pateints are kids.

The idea of this effort is to collect older bikes from people, repair them and then MPS them to Geogrge who will do a little re-assembly, and give them to the kids as they go through the hospital there.

Having been down range and seen some of the considerbale privation those people are subjected to, my heart always went out strongest to the little kids... I still remember several particular kids along the route we used to patrol, and I'm really excited about the chance to get some of those poor kids onto bikes.

George is ready to coordinate the downrange end of this, and has the support of his command.

Here's what I would like to do,a nd the areas where I will need help:

-Set up some times at the KMCC and other locations to get the word out, and to coordinate with folks who want to donate their old kids bikes. I can go and pick them up with my truck.

-I'm going to talk to the recycling center and see if they can put up a bin or something for folks to put bikes that are still in good working order.

-We'll need to do some repairs probably, and we'll need to pack them for shipping.

-I'll need some help with the repair and shipping piece.

-I'll need some help getting boxes and packing materials etc.

Please chime in if you are interested in being part of this, and what piece of this you would like to take on.

Thanks, and as always, if you haev issues with me going forward with this on behalf of the club, speak now or forever hold your peace,
Jonesy

Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Re: Bikes for Bagram

Post by gsmolin on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:52 pm

Ready and willing on this end. I shipped my road bike and trainer, so I have the tools and know-how to reassemble whatever you guys send me as long as all the parts are there.

One place to get bike boxes and packing material (unless you've already thought of this) is Outdoor Rec or maybe Frank's?

Like Greg said, kids bikes would be best.

Oh, and its Salerno, not Bagram, though "bikes for bagram" does have a better ring to it.

-George

gsmolin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:45 pm

OK, with the Soldier's ride done, and the fall picnic also, I have a little time to put back into this project again.

I've scheduled to set up on the 6th of November and the 19th of November at the KMCC to collect (or coordinate for collecting) old childrens bikes.

I will plan on being at these myself, and would love to have anyone's help that wants to be involved.

My plan is this:
Set up at the food court with informational materials on the Bikes for Bagram project, and ask people if they can donate an old bike that is not complete junk, but maybe needs a little tuning up to set it right again.

I plan to do some pre-marketing so that folks will know a little about it ahead of time and might bring their bikes directly in. Otherwis we can advertise and coordinate a drop-off time at a later time (mayb the 6th is mostly informative and the 19th is when they really bring the bikes in).

Then I'll need help fixing them up and shipping them out.

I'll provide more detail in another post this week, but basically, I'd like to divvy the bikes out to those who want to help; I'd bring you a handful of bikes, a few boxes and shipping materials and an APO address to ship them to... you tune them up, box them up, label the boxes and ship them out (or call me to come pick them up, and I'll ship them out).

Anyway, hopefulyl we can get at least one iteration of this before George re-deploys sometime in JAN. Maybe he'll find someone to take over if this works out well on his end.

Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:54 pm

Just got a note from George that he needs me to have sent any bikes by November 15th. So that means that I'll cancel the KMCC for the 19th. I'm still interested in trying to do a single iteration of this, if nothing else, to see how it goes, and then if someone we know in the future is heading downrange, they can do the downrange piece of this.

I do need some help, however, as I just don't have the time to do this on my own.

I'll schedule the KMCC appearance, and I'll also produce some publicity materials and advertise/publicize this.

I'll also work on getting some packing materials (probably from the BX, as they are getting in bikes all the time that they unbox).

I need some folks to help with the fixing and packaging.

I need people to commit to accepting whatever number of bikes they feel they can do. We'll limit it to bikes that JUST need repairs, and not replacement of parts... so bikes that need tubes patched, tires filled, brakes adjusted, chains adjusted etc. For future iterations if this continues, I may ask Outdoor rec or the PX if they're interested in donating some basic supplies (tubes, chains, brake pads etc.).

I would bring you the bikes, and boxes and would ask that you fix up the bikes, package them and then label the packages. I'd say a standard packing configuration would be fully set-up bike except tires moderately deflated, handle bars turned sideways and pedals removed. I think that would make it reasonably easy for George to reconfigure them into rideable shape.

I really don't know what the public response will be to this, we could get two or three bikes, OR we could get two or three dozen. I think for this iteration though, I will probably limit it to twenty, since we are working with MPS system, and we have ONE POC downrange who has to do all of the work on that end.

So, if anyone is interested in helping, please contact me.

If I don't get any one commited by Friday, I'm going to scrap this project until some point in the future when we can try it again if we have someone downrange.

Thanks,
Jonesy

Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by powerpro369 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:40 pm

I would love to fix some bikes. I could probably handle about 5. I could also send them out if boxes are supplied. Let me know if you need any other help

powerpro369

Back to top Go down

Post by Road_Rage on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:52 pm

I am good for five bikes. I can fix and pack.
Road_Rage
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy on Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:45 pm

Guys, thanks! That's good enough for me to move forward on. Ill start working on the marketing tomorrow.

Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload on Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:06 pm

Well...I have two more flights to go and the last two attempts have been cancelled for weather. I might not get out of here ever! I would love to fix some bikes, but I don't want to commit to anything till I know when I am getting home. I think for this one I am going to have to be content with going to someones house and drinking beer and helping them. Maybe just drinking beer while they fix them alone. Whatever it takes!
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by velo-doc on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:02 am

I'm in for some fix-ups...let me know what you need.

Chad
velo-doc
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy on Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:04 pm

Guys, thanks so much for volunteering your time!

I think this has GREAT potential. I've sent out one email at work and now a half hour later I have about 8 bikes pledged!

I've also reached out to another POC downrange who is in a slightly more remote location, so he's not sure how much he can handle, but he's going to try for starters with one bike (everything starts small).

I'm also going to try and reahc out to some other POCs as well.

I'll have several bikes tomorrow, so who would like to get started on the first batch this weekend?

Thanks,
Jonesy

Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by BigWheels on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:00 pm

I can do a couple but will need to get started on them next week.

Justin
BigWheels
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Road_Rage on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:53 pm

I'll take two or three. Catch me at work if you get some. Tomorrow.
Road_Rage
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by powerpro369 on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:27 pm

I will take on 2 or 3

powerpro369

Back to top Go down

bikes have arrived @ Salerno

Post by gsmolin on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:13 am

dudes,

the first 2 bikes arrived here @ FOB Salerno yesterday. the CSH commander is really appreciative of you guys sending them and i'm going to put them together tonight.

i'll be coordinating with the local national clinic NCOIC to hand them out to patients here; i'll be sure to get some photos to post.

i'm out of here in a month or so, and i think you guys were going to send one more bike to me here (i think jonesy said he mailed it last week). i'm going to check with my replacement to see if he has interest in keeping this going here, but hey, even if we can give out 3 bikes to the locals here, that's awesome.

keep hitting the trails and have a post-ride beer for me,
-george

gsmolin

Back to top Go down

Bike found an owner

Post by gsmolin on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:55 pm

Gave away the first bike today with Bikes for Bagram. We gave it away to the little guy in the photos I'm sending to Jonesy; the back story is he was injured in a motor vehicle accident months ago and our hospital has done a lot of surgeries on him to help repair his legs. He's graduated from being bed-bound to using a wheelchair to using a walker and now walks independently, and now he can ride this bike.

Great job guys!

I think there's a good patient/candidate that they've found for the other bike which should be given away some time in the next 7-10 days.

-George

gsmolin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:08 am

George, that's awesome! Thanks so much for being part of this.

I think this is a great start, and I hope we can work out a way to continue this.

Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:46 pm

I have a fresh box sitting in my office if someone has a bike for it. It's a frame box but should accomidate a small bike. I would be willing to prep and pack it. Or, if someone needs a frame box just let me know.
MJ
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by gsmolin on Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:03 pm

the third bike arrived last week and i have it assembled. there's an Afghan family that's coming in Tues that i think we'll be able to give both bikes to.

gsmolin

Back to top Go down

last 2 bikes given away

Post by gsmolin on Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:59 am

Gave away the last 2 bikes today @ the CSH. The smaller one went to a younger boy; it was a little big for him but it'll fit great within the next year. The bigger one went to a boy of about 12 years old. The back story with the older boy is the mom and dad of the family died a while ago so the oldest boy is raising the kids. I sent the photos to Jonesy. Thanks again guys!

gsmolin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy on Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:00 am

George, thanks again for the great work. It may be a small start, but three kids' lives were impacted, and that is enough to make it worth the effort.

I'll post the pics with a little update on the website if I have the time, if not I'll just put them up on the forum here.

Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

KMC Cycling in the news

Post by gsmolin on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:08 pm

the local PAO did a story on the bike giveaway too:

http://www.dvidshub.net/news/80701/club-donates-bike-afghan-child

gsmolin

Back to top Go down

Post by thedude76 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:30 pm

This is too cool.

Mud, blood and beers!
thedude76

http://www.chainlove.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy on Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:50 pm

gsmolin wrote:the local PAO did a story on the bike giveaway too:

http://www.dvidshub.net/news/80701/club-donates-bike-afghan-child
I am grinning from ear to ear right now. Awesome stuff! A small, but meaningful start to something i really want to continue... And on a more 'selfish' note, just the kind of PR we need!

Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top