Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Rodalben Metric Century ride EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Rodalben Metric Century ride EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Rodalben Metric Century ride EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Rodalben Metric Century ride EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Rodalben Metric Century ride EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Rodalben Metric Century ride

5 posters

:: Rides :: MTB Rides

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rodalben Metric Century ride Empty Rodalben Metric Century ride

Post by Jonesy Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:29 pm

In trying to add in some longer rides, I'm planning to try and do a rodalben metric century Early Sunday morning.

The idea is to ride to Rodalben from Ramstein area (about 30 km), ride the full loop, then ride home.
The pace will be moderate to light, but steady. Very few breaks, mostly rolling breathers as needed. The pace will be light and easy for the ride to and from, and a little more agressive on the trails.

Timeline I'm shooting for:
5:00 a.m. Depart Ramstein area
6:30 a.m. Arrive at rodalben and start the F-Trail
11:00 a.m. Complete F-Trail and head for home
12:30 p.m. arrive at Ramstein completely smoked.

Total Km should be somewhere around 100-110 with 30 to and from and the roughly 45-50 km of the full loop.

I do reserve the right to whimp out at somepoint along the F-trail and just head home. I do not intend to destroy myself.

Anyone interested?

This will be my first Century, so any advice is more than welcome...
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Rodalben Metric Century ride Empty Re: Rodalben Metric Century ride

Post by eurotrash Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:36 pm

Are you plotting a trail to Rodalben, or planning on gnashing the nobbies on the road?
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:42 pm

bike paths mostly... occasional road.... if you know of a route, I'm open to suggestions... so long as it is easy path riding... Otherwise I was going to just take a swing at based on what I can see from google maps combined with what my GPS shows me... could be adventurous!!
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Slim Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:37 pm

From Bann there is a combination of nice paths to Steinalben. From there, there is a path to Waldfischbach and then onto just outside Rodalben. It is relatively flat, actually rolls downhill there and uphill back.

Word of warning though, you will easily be over a metric if you start from Ramstein and ride all the F-trail. I can get a metric starting from Bann and doing all the F trail.
Slim
Slim

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:57 pm

You dont happen to have a gps of that specific route do you?
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Slim Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:20 pm

Jim has posted one that has the route to Rodalben and one of the sides and then some trails back to Waldfischbach. From Bann to Steinalben is all paved path and from there you can either climb a fire road and descend a trail to Waldfischbach or ride a flat paved path there.

If you want to experience a few new trails you can use his GPS, but that includes the climb behind Steinalben, the A side to Clausen past an old WW2 airfield and down a fun descent, then the trails to Waldfischbach and back to Bann. They are fun and when we did that route from Bann it was around 40-45 miles so from Ramstein you could get your metric in.

He rode from his house and added a little bit to get the metric, but this should get you started. I don't own a gps so I could only tell you or I can draw a map with crayons Very Happy
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Slim
Slim

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Greg, I'll drag my ass out of bed at your sadistically early time if we can make this ride work without taking much asphalt. Slim's suggestion really seems worthwhile, so let's give it a shot! I don't have any fancy navi gear other than a stack of good maps and an iPhone, so if you can work out the trail details we're set. Worst case is we get lost for hours to explore some new turf.
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:38 pm

Despite bonkage and sickness cutting it short, it came darn close to the metric at 94km.
Will write a more detailed summary later, for now im laying down with a headful of cold medicine and catching som Z'es.
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:34 pm

Great ride. Definitely a notch toward the marathons coming up. A minor kink to work out with the bike, but my body feels good. Glad we made it back in one piece!
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by thedude76 Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:37 pm

Did you ride the Pivot?
thedude76
thedude76

http://www.chainlove.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Slim Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:40 pm

what route did you guys end up doing?
Slim
Slim

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:14 pm

We took the marked cycle paths pretty much the whole way. Once we got to bann, it went right along the route you posted from yours and jims ride. Minus a couple of mild climbs in qbach and the climb out of bann, the way back was pretty much downill or flat; which was a good thing at that point.
So we rode that route down there from landstuhl, then rode the a side at a decent pace (roughly 1:50), and continued on to the b side. We (ok, I...) were felling a bit of fatigue aleady going into the b side, and that first long grueling climb up the b side pretty much sapped me!
At this point i was also starting to feel a cold take seat and about halfway through the b side we were done with the trail riding and dropped into town to start the ride back. The ride back was pretty damn miserable to be honest, as I was completly smoked, fighting a cold, and suffering a very stiff neck. Its really tough to be pretty well smoked and still have 30k to go!!
Learned some things though:
1 80-90 plus kilometers in a single day split across morning lunch and evening rides aint nearly same as 80-90 plus all at once
2 you really can keep pedaling a good bit longer than you think you can.
3 there are no train stations in any of the towns from waldfischbach on up to landstuhl (or else the ride would have been even shorter and i'd have never learned #2
4 I need a road bike
5 John's got some freaking endurance!!

All in all a great ride and something i think i'll try to do biweekly or so.
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:35 pm

Steve and I road Rodalben A & B. B first with Mark was fun. Steve and I got about ten minutes into A side and the rain started. A side was not as much fun and I got damn lucky on a few close calls with wet rocks and fatigued rainbow riding towards the en.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:21 am

Oh yeah Matt, you reminded me of something else I learned yesterday:
There are points at which riding stops being fun!
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:51 am

thedude76 wrote:Did you ride the Pivot?
Yep, the 5.7. No front derailleur, just picked a chainring and left it there. I had hell with the rear, since my dumb ass used a length of cheap brake cable housing instead of proper SIS non-compressible cable, which meant when I stomped a climb and compressed the suspension, it ghost-shifted unpredictably. Other than that, I love it- really well-behaved on the descents and raked enough for me to be damn sloppy in the babyheads. I picked some real stupid lines, and didn't get catapulted. I hope I don't make that a habit, but there is a lot to be said about a well-designed suspension. I'm real happy with it.

spookyload wrote:Steve and I road Rodalben A & B.
We saw your vehicles in the Lidl lot as we were headed out of town. Glad you could make it, perfect day for riding out there!

My lessons learned:
1.) Bring more food.
2.) Eat breakfast.
3.) Eat dinner the night before instead of just a snack.
4.) Get more than 4 hours sleep.

So yeah, I was malnourished and tired from the start. 2 powerbars and 4 gels is probably enough for that ride, but having not eaten dinner or breakfast beforehand, I lost a lot of intensity while my metabolism caught up with my legs. I am used to having the heart and lungs dictate pace, but yesterday it was all about fuel. Jonesy kept the pressure on, but eventually we matched up our abilities on pace for awhile before my endurance mode drove the ride over Greg's usual intensity. Bad for him was that this happened while still on the trail as his cold took hold and took the fun out of it for him. We didn't have anything to fabricate a litter out of, so the final 30k had to be done on two wheels. Cheers for not conceding to Deutsche Bahn for the return trip. All good training for SiS!
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Rodalben Metric Century ride Empty Rodalben Metric Century Part II

Post by Jonesy Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:58 pm

Alright, so here is the plan for the second attempt at the Rodalben metric century plus. Last time we ended up with about 96km and that was with cutting out about half of the B-side, so I'm thinking the full ride should come in somewhere around 110-115km; not bad for a sunday morning's ride.

Sunday July 31
5:00 a.m. Depart Ramstein area
6:30 a.m. Arrive at rodalben and start the F-Trail
11:00 a.m. Complete F-Trail and head for home
12:30 p.m. arrive at Ramstein completely smoked.

Pacing on the way to Rodalben and back will be mild to moderate riding on bikepaths. Pacing on the F-Trail will be moderate to agressive.

As before I reserve the right to whimp out at somepoint along the F-trail and just head home. I do not intend to destroy myself.
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:40 pm

As before I reserve the right to whimp out at somepoint along the F-trail and just head home. I do not intend to destroy myself.

If you don't intend to destroy yourself, I'll make it my intention to destroy you. Twisted Evil

I can't figure a way around the backpack, we need tubes and tools when riding that far from home. That, and I'm going to make darn sure to bring lots of extra food. I'll also be preparing my camelbak with 3 liters of isotonic Na+/K+ balanced water. The electrolyte loss last time just frigging killed me.

Also got my front derailleur today (Nashbar delivers in 6 weeks! Awesome! Rolling Eyes ) so I'll be on the gray bike and not needing to stop to shift chainrings. Bonus!
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:37 pm

I'm planning on the following load-up to avoid the backpack:

-1 liter bottle on the frame (X2) with some sort of gatorade or something
-Tool pouch under the saddle with flat kit, tools, car keys and euros, and rain coat
-Frame-mounted pump
-3 pocket jersey with the following:1 pocket with spare tube, 2 pockets with a .5 liter water bottle in each
-IPOD, high caloric performance gels... and of course cola-gummis, stashed in shorts pockets

I plan to map out and route-plan re-watering stops.... might be some pottable springs marked on my GPS along the way... or gas stations etc.... That one will take a little bit of planning.

Can't think of too much else I'll need...
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:47 pm

How about the fanny pack?
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:47 pm

Oh yeah, I plan on heading out from Steinwenden at about 4:50 to 5:00 which should put me at your place at around 5:20 or so. I'll just come directly to your house... I think I'll recognize it, but just in case, PM me the housenumber.
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:48 pm

Yeah I was considering the fannypack as well... that would hold more water and more room for yummies and still keep the weight down low off of my back.... we'll see.
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:58 pm

If you keep your handy on a belt holster clipped to your fanny pack, you can just shoot me a text and I'll zip out to meet you at the Stadthalle parkplatz. You should also clip a bluetooth headset to your helmet, for handsfree operation!
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Slim Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:02 pm

This should take care of your hydration issue and free up a little pocket space as well. Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Slim
Slim

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:17 pm

Slim wrote:This should take care of your hydration issue and free up a little pocket space as well. Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Hmmm... is that DOT approved?

And do they make a metric version for half-liter bottles of beer?
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:25 pm

Greg- I talked with BigWaveDave today, he's in with us for the ride. We'll pick him up when we reach Q'bach.
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next