Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

August 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Quidersbach details query

Go down

Quidersbach details query

Post by maptx on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:32 am

I saw mention of a group road ride out of Quidersbach on Thursday evenings and Sunday mornings. Could anyone spare details on exact meeting location and time, and typical group size, distance, speed?

Thanks!

maptx

Back to top Go down

Re: Quidersbach details query

Post by Sharpbike on Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:12 am

I ride with this group on tue and thur its a road ride. They start at 5:30 from the town park on the main street. Distance is around 30 miles and the speed is different for each night. Tuesday is the fast night 20-23 mph depending on the group. Thursday around 20 mph no drop ride for both rides. Both night have a fewmiles of pace lining with a sprint then. A regroup to the long climb which is hard on tuesday because i attack on it. Group size varies 6-16 more some days and less others days.

Sunday i know the meet at the same place depending on who is racing that day. I am not sure of the route or time.

Hope to see you out there some night
Sharpbike

Back to top Go down

Tue/Thur rides

Post by velo-doc on Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:14 am

Under the heading of "full disclosure", I would say that Tuesday night is a "drop" ride. Although it rolls out in a reasonable double paceline, it gets a measure harder on the first climb, then progresses quickly to "more than race pace" through the valley towards Walhalben. I would put the average for this section at well above 26 mph in a tight paceline on twisty roads through small villages on variable road surfaces. After this 6mi section, and sprint, the pace slows considerably and it's more of a conversational double paceline for the next 11mi to Waldfischbach. As Jim stated earlier, he will attack and those who want to ride the hill hard will go with him, or chase after a while. The ride regroups at the top and again it stays between 19-22mph most of the way home. So, although there are opportunities for regrouping, I would hesitate to call this a "no drop" ride. I know of more than one person who has come out on Tuesday night, only to get gapped in the first couple of minutes in the valley and never saw the group again.

This is definitely not meant to scare anybody off. It's a great ride for improving top end fitness, group riding skills and bike handling. I just like to make sure people have the right impression about rides before they commit an evening to come out. Don't know if Jim has posted one of his GPS files for the Tue night ride, but that would show the speeds, distances and efforts (Jim's HR) throughout the ride.

See you out there. I'll be there tonight on the newly built-up Madone if the roads are dry.
velo-doc
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by BrianLask on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:27 am

I have done the Thursday ride fairly consistently this year (I will miss my second one since mid April the week) and have the following data from our last ride.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/91229404

This was a double paceline up the last hill which had 7 out of 12 stay together. (I also broke my pedal at the top of the hill too, ha) People will attack the climb on Thursdays as well, but have always waited at the top, since it is close to the end of the ride.

I get dropped on (almost) every single descent, and they always wait for me, which is nice Smile
BrianLask

Back to top Go down

Post by maptx on Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:48 pm

Thanks all for the detailed info. I can't make it tonight, but should be out there on Thursday. Prob better that way so I can learn the route once before yo-yo-ing along with the Tuesday group.

That Garmin profile of the ride is useful. I've got one for the Christmas list now. Thanks for sharing.

maptx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down