Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Coming to Germany EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Coming to Germany EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Coming to Germany EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Coming to Germany EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Coming to Germany EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Coming to Germany

5 posters

Go down

Coming to Germany Empty Coming to Germany

Post by taylor Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:21 am

I just got TCS orders to Landstuhl...should be there within the next few weeks. I'm from Seattle WA and am excited to have found a local cycling community. While I prepare to leave my biggest concern is being overseas without a bike. I'm authorized to ship household goods which I think could include a bike. I'm sorta debating whether I should have my wife send a bike over once I get settled or whether I should just pick up a new bike once I'm over there. I've never shipped a bike via the miliatary before and as much as I'd love to have them help out by picking up the tab I'm also worried about damaging a good bike. Any thoughts? Also would also have to decide between a road and a cross bike...I've never done a lot of MTB'ing before but it looks as if there are some great trails around Kaiserslautern. Would a cross bike suffice to ride a majority of the trails in the area or will I get laughed out of the woods? Really any feedback would help, look forward to possibly meeting a few of you while I'm over there and checking out the local area via bike. Thanks for the help.
taylor

Back to top Go down

Coming to Germany Empty Re: Coming to Germany

Post by spookyload Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:33 pm

Welcome to the forum. As for which bike to bring, I don't know that you would want to tackle some of our trails with a cross bike. Given your situation, I would bring a road bike and get the miles you can. If you can pick up a MTB before you come or after you are here, that would be a bonus. My advice for the movers packing the bikes...remember they are responsible for repairing anything they damage. Take lots of pictures. I personally packed them myself. Put pipe insulation on the tubes and boxed them up myself. Lots of zipties and bubble wrap to make sure everything was secure. Local bike shop gave me the bike boxes to save them having to recycle them. Another option is to mail it to one of us and it will be ready to ride when you get here.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by taylor Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:30 am

Thanks for the advice. I look forward to meeting up with some of y'all once I get settle over there. Cheers,

Taylor
taylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonesy Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:01 pm

And see, I'd advise just the opposite of Matt, and recommend you bring your cross bike, because you can do road riding with the cross, but then also there are a lot of scenic paths and fireroads that are a little much for the roadbike, but perfect for a cross bike. I think you'd be missing out on a lot of scenic woodland riding if you just bring a road bike.
Jonesy
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:05 pm

Bring all your bikes, there is not one that won't get used...Welcome to KMC Cycling!!!
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by krocko1 Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:15 pm

If you can just bring both. You will regret not being able to do the full trails if you just bring the cross. To me this is one of the most beautiful places to experience on a bike RD or MTB. Welcome by the way.
krocko1
krocko1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down