Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Dyno Lights EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Dyno Lights EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Dyno Lights EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Dyno Lights EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Dyno Lights EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Dyno Lights

5 posters

:: Yard Sale :: Wanted

Go down

Dyno Lights Empty Dyno Lights

Post by 1Rodger Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:16 pm

Hola All
I would like information on purchasing "Road" Dyn-o Lights such as any of The Luxos Series
( or a like brand ). study

Rodger & Gabby
1Rodger
1Rodger

Back to top Go down

Dyno Lights Empty Re: Dyno Lights

Post by Zenkem Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:41 am

Never used one, I have the Serfas True 1000+ Headlight...
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by 1Rodger Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:20 pm

Hello Sir

First I want to say Thank You for replying to me.

The lights that you have are great for " off road" or "away from other vehicles" riding.

I now have a need for a light unit that gets its power from a Hub Dyno and that is to be used with
other Hwy - Road - Street usages. These lights have a stand ( stop and wait ) feature for when you
may be at a inter-section.

Rodger & Gabby
1Rodger
1Rodger

Back to top Go down

Post by RobB Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:36 pm

I've been using a dyno light unit on my commuter bike for ten years. It's a Shimano unit it works great. Any local bike shop should be able to assist you. The newer ones are probably even better than mine. Mine turns on and off by itself and I don't notice any additional resistance when it is on.

Rob
RobB
RobB

Back to top Go down

Post by iamgoode Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:06 am

I too have a Serfas, very nice and bright light, but the battery life is starting to shrink. I was thinking about a dyno light set up for the bike I mostly ride for commuting, but always considered them a bit dim compared to the battery lights. THe dyno light seems like it would pay for iself touring, especially if you can use it to charge your phone, GPS, battery backup or other small devices by day when you don't need your lights. Dyno lights seem way more popular in Europe so this is the place to commit to the technology (I think). Now, if I can find an old unit to tinker with...
iamgoode
iamgoode

Back to top Go down

Post by 1Rodger Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:36 pm

Hello Yo'll

I am not "Up To Date" of when Europe went to their Cycle Lighting Regulation of every cycle over ______ KG's must have a Dyno Powered Light vs a battery unit when used on their turf.

American Military who stay around their concentrated areas seem to be
un-educated or ignore this.

The second part of this is The European Cycle Lighting Reg's have a clause about Cycle Racing and having lights. Hence there seems to be a lot of
"Tour de France" trainer's or Mountain Biker's.

The Dyno Hubs have a Low AMP 6 Volt design and a High AM 6 Volt out put desgn.

The upper scaled and newest Lighting Units have The USB Ports so that just about everything that is sold can be "Plugged In" and used/ charged. They also have a "Stand" feature ( this is for when you stop at a Traffic Light or Crossing ).

There is a minimum brightness the lights must be. Because of the initial total cost of The Dyno Powered Light Assembly - American's lean towards the battery lights.

We still think that Dyno Hubs are for Grand Pa's Tandem.

All better used Cycle Lights have a "Aimed Shine Area" that has Tech
Standards ( no matter what their brightness level is ).

All Cell Phones now have a Map - GPS - Distance APP's ability.

Rodger & Gabby

1Rodger
1Rodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Taz77 Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:18 am

Depends on where you live. Areas around the KMCC don't really enforce the bicycle regulations in Germany (such as being fined for NOT using a bike path). Additionally the bicycle regulations pertaining to lights do not apply to "Sport" bikes as they call them (i.e. bike shop bikes, not something bought at Globus or Penny) sometimes called "Racing" bikes by German authorities. I ride to and from work along a popular biking round and 9 out of 10 bikes I see do not have lights. If you are riding during the day and you are riding a "sport" bike as they call them, you do not have to have lights on them. If you ride in the dark, you will have to have lights on your bike but they don't have to be dyno driven lights. A Racing bike is defined as less that 12 kg, with drop handlebars, a rim diameter at least 630 mm diameter, and a rim width not more than 23 mm. I ride a Kona Dr. Dew and it fits into this description minus the handlebars, I have wide flat bars on it.

For commuting in the dark I use the same lights I do for riding trails in the dark. I have two LED/LiOn lights (Magicshines) that are 1000 lumens and 1200 lumens. I then have a very bright rear blinky light. I already had these so it wasn't an additional purchase. If you don't have any lights then I guess that would open up the possibility of dyno lights and come down to personal preference.
Taz77
Taz77

http://www.hcor.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down