Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

July 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Stan's NoTubes Re-Invents the Clincher Mountain Bike Rim

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stan's NoTubes Re-Invents the Clincher Mountain Bike Rim

Post by Zenkem on Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:14 am

Stan's NoTubes was trying to solve the problem of mounting huge tubeless tires to fat bike wheels and in doing so, invented a totally new rim design.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/stans-notubes-re-invents-the-clincher-mountain-bike-rim.html

_________________
"If your day job keeps you from riding as much as you'd like, you aren't as fast as you think you are."

avatar
Zenkem

Posts : 1818
Join date : 2010-11-20
Age : 49
Location : Hermersberg

Back to top Go down

Re: Stan's NoTubes Re-Invents the Clincher Mountain Bike Rim

Post by Taz77 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:19 am

For super fat tires, makes sense. Don't see that rim design working for much of anything else.

I haven't used tubeless setup on any of my bikes in 5 years now.
avatar
Taz77

Posts : 229
Join date : 2013-02-06
Location : Bruchmühlbach

http://www.hcor.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Stan's NoTubes Re-Invents the Clincher Mountain Bike Rim

Post by Zenkem on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:39 am

Taz77 wrote:For super fat tires, makes sense.  Don't see that rim design working for much of anything else.  

I haven't used tubeless setup on any of my bikes in 5 years now.

Article says:

Hugo 52 rims and wheels are designed for mid-sized "Plus" fat bikes, but the ramifications of the design are certain to cross over to all clincher-type wheels

_________________
"If your day job keeps you from riding as much as you'd like, you aren't as fast as you think you are."

avatar
Zenkem

Posts : 1818
Join date : 2010-11-20
Age : 49
Location : Hermersberg

Back to top Go down

Re: Stan's NoTubes Re-Invents the Clincher Mountain Bike Rim

Post by Taz77 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:15 am

Zenkem wrote:
Taz77 wrote:For super fat tires, makes sense.  Don't see that rim design working for much of anything else.  

I haven't used tubeless setup on any of my bikes in 5 years now.

Article says:

Hugo 52 rims and wheels are designed for mid-sized "Plus" fat bikes, but the ramifications of the design are certain to cross over to all clincher-type wheels

Yup I read it. Have you ever mounted a clincher tire on a clncher rim before? Not fun. It's easier with the huge tires though. Small road tires you often thought it was absolutely impossible to get the tire onto the rim.

I should have mostly said that rim profile. That profile works for the fat 3-4" tires. The bead area would have to be strengthened for typical MTB usage. Clncher design would help with burping problems on tubeless though, act as a bead lock.

I am most interested in Schwalbe's dual-chamber (tube-in-tube) design. Which has applicability to all tires, helps to solve the pinch flat problem.
avatar
Taz77

Posts : 229
Join date : 2013-02-06
Location : Bruchmühlbach

http://www.hcor.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Stan's NoTubes Re-Invents the Clincher Mountain Bike Rim

Post by Zenkem on Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:30 pm

Taz77 wrote:
Zenkem wrote:
Taz77 wrote:For super fat tires, makes sense.  Don't see that rim design working for much of anything else.  

I haven't used tubeless setup on any of my bikes in 5 years now.

Article says:

Hugo 52 rims and wheels are designed for mid-sized "Plus" fat bikes, but the ramifications of the design are certain to cross over to all clincher-type wheels

Yup I read it.  Have you ever mounted a clincher tire on a clncher rim before?  Not fun.  It's easier with the huge tires though.  Small road tires you often thought it was absolutely impossible to get the tire onto the rim.

I should have mostly said that rim profile.  That profile works for the fat 3-4" tires.  The bead area would have to be strengthened for typical MTB usage.  Clncher design would help with burping problems on tubeless though, act as a bead lock.

I am most interested in Schwalbe's dual-chamber (tube-in-tube) design.  Which has applicability to all tires, helps to solve the pinch flat problem.

Have you ever mounted a clincher tire on a clncher rim before?

That's all I have and will ever run....Maint free from my experience...

_________________
"If your day job keeps you from riding as much as you'd like, you aren't as fast as you think you are."

avatar
Zenkem

Posts : 1818
Join date : 2010-11-20
Age : 49
Location : Hermersberg

Back to top Go down

Re: Stan's NoTubes Re-Invents the Clincher Mountain Bike Rim

Post by Taz77 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:41 pm

Don't think my link showed up

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/feature/Good-Riddance-Pinch-Flats-Introducing-Dual-Chamber-Tire-System-from-Schwalbe,219
avatar
Taz77

Posts : 229
Join date : 2013-02-06
Location : Bruchmühlbach

http://www.hcor.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Stan's NoTubes Re-Invents the Clincher Mountain Bike Rim

Post by thedude76 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:32 pm

the new dual chamber system does look interesting.
Might have to drill an extra hole in a rim.

_________________
“Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get.”

Mud, blood and beers!
avatar
thedude76

Posts : 1243
Join date : 2010-11-20
Age : 40
Location : the land of schnaps und bier!!!

http://www.chainlove.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Stan's NoTubes Re-Invents the Clincher Mountain Bike Rim

Post by Taz77 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:56 pm

Yup I am looking forward to it. I stopped running tubeless because of the hassle with changing tires and when the goo dried up on a good tire removing all that stuff from the inside of the tire.
avatar
Taz77

Posts : 229
Join date : 2013-02-06
Location : Bruchmühlbach

http://www.hcor.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Stan's NoTubes Re-Invents the Clincher Mountain Bike Rim

Post by DuviVr6 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:42 pm

Clincher tires are easy to deal with, much easier than tubulars on the road side. MTB tires are light years easier to mount than 23mm road tires. It also depends on the specific tire and rim, but you get good at it with time and I can prob do 80% of changes without any tools.

That said I do have tubeless on my MTB problem is I don't ride it enough and when I leave it sitting for to long they loose the air and the seal... Evil or Very Mad 
avatar
DuviVr6

Posts : 128
Join date : 2013-02-14
Location : Vogelweh

Back to top Go down

Re: Stan's NoTubes Re-Invents the Clincher Mountain Bike Rim

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum