Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

June 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

How did you get your bike to Germany?

Go down

How did you get your bike to Germany?

Post by WillPower01 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:07 pm

I am debating shipping my bike vs checking it on the plane. I know it could be part of my normal TMO shipment but since I won't have a car, I want to be able to use my bike right away. Suggestions??
WillPower01

Back to top Go down

Re: How did you get your bike to Germany?

Post by cllulei on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:44 pm

You can mail it in two separate boxes of it's a big frame, wheels in one, frame in another. I've mailed a ton of stuff for a PCS and they were all reimbursable expenses, as long as you get the post office to write down the weight, cost, date, and rubber stamp a specific form that you can get from the TMO office. You'll be able to claim it after the PCS. Another option is a travel case. My TricoSport Iron Case is just under the Postal Service size limit and it fits a complete bike, wheels and all.
cllulei

http://www.Chainlove.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gsmolin on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Singlespeed went in unaccompanied baggage along with a handful of tools and a pump to get it back together. Great decision as it was waiting for me here when I arrived, and instantly I could get around sans rental car.

Fully went in regular HHG shipment, but I disassembled it myself just like I'd be mailing it and I made the movers wrap it in a ton of paper and had them put it on the TOP of one of the crates, not buried at the bottom.

Both came through the move perfectly.

gsmolin

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:18 am

I would personally go the checked baggage route. Some airlines require a hard-side case, some will accept a bike store box. Check the airline website. If you are travelling on orders, you shouldn't have a problem at the baggage check. Mail gets here, but it can take 6-12 weeks. May as well go with unaccompanied baggage rather than mail. My UB had a bike in a soft-side case, which arrived about 3 weeks after I did. No problems there. I've had bikes moved with HHG six times, no problems there, either.

Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Taz77 on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:01 pm

I just moved here from New England two months ago.  Shipping a bike is only feasable if you use APO and tear it down into small boxes - UPS quote was $600 to ship my bike.    Most of my bikes went into HHG shipment.  I kept my trail bike out and I boxed it up to carry on the flight over (on the rotator out of BWI). 

If you can plan ahead unaccompanied baggage would probably be the best way.  I was a newbie at moving overseas so I didn't know this.  I shipped my clothes and tools to my APO and they were here just a few days after I arrived with me shipping them two days before I departed the states.

I lived in Warner Robins for 7 years, was very big in the local mountain biking community.  I bet we know a lot of the same people!
Taz77

http://www.hcor.net

Back to top Go down

Post by DuviVr6 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:37 am

Helo, I just arrived at Ramstein. I was able to ship my bike to my APo in a plain regular cardboard bike box. I put it in my soft travel bag shoved it in an empty box from any bike shop and off it went. Cost me $80 with $1500 insurance. Got here in less than 2 weeks safe and sound.

Now I need to do some riding!
DuviVr6

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:41 am

DuviVr6 wrote:Helo, I just arrived at Ramstein. I was able to ship my bike to my APo in a plain regular cardboard bike box. I put it in my soft travel bag shoved it in an empty box from any bike shop and off it went. Cost me $80 with $1500 insurance. Got here in less than 2 weeks safe and sound.

Now I need to do some riding!

Looks like we're neighbors. If that bike happens to be a knobby-tire type, hit me up for a spin through the hills.

Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Taz77 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:37 am

Interesting! Someone else in Bruchmülbach! There are knobby tire fun to be had right in back of the village.
Taz77

http://www.hcor.net

Back to top Go down

Post by gsmolin on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:22 pm

correct you are!

I'm down the road a piece in hauptstuhl. hit me up too if you want a less extreme version of eurotrash, (but still of the knobby tire type of ride).

gsmolin

Back to top Go down

Post by DuviVr6 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:52 pm

Well I do have a MTB but its in my TMO which will get here someday! For now all I have is my roadie, but still looking for some folks to join so if you guys can point me in the right direction that would rock. I will try to be at the gym ride next week.

BTW been here in GER for about 10 days now. Still have an empty house but yes it is in Bruchmuhlbach, will have to get together soon.
DuviVr6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down