Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

January 2018
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Finally getting out on two wheels...

:: Community :: The Club

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Finally getting out on two wheels...

Post by markfu on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Evening all, i joined the forum several months ago, but never got to come out with you guys for various reasons.

Anyway, i get my bike back in the next couple of days, and will start getting some miles under my belt around Landstuhl, before venturing further afield, and joining you all. I've not ridden for over a year, so i need to wake my cycling legs up.

I've done a lot of trail running around the area, and have got to know the trails around and between the castle, Bismarckturm and Kindsbach, but i haven't seen many riders about. Is there any friction with non-bikers that i should know about? In particular a tight descent down to Kindsbach, which bizzarely has a picture of an ant on a sun lounger near the bottom of it (Seems like it would be a great run though). I was just wondering if there are any trails that should be avoided really. Cheers. Hope to bump into some of you out and about soon.

markfu

Back to top Go down

Re: Finally getting out on two wheels...

Post by airborne.s2000 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:11 pm

Give me a shout if you go out (road or MTB), as I live in downtown Landstuhl. My phone number is in my profile. Not too much hiker v. biker friction; keep in mind that marked hiking routes are technically not for bikers, so you should definitely give way to hikers/walkers. I recommend some sort of bell.
airborne.s2000
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by markfu on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:39 pm

Cheers Airbourne.

I definitely need to give myself a short ride out first i think, just to see where my legs are at. I have done no cycling for a fair while now, except for work and back which is less than 2 miles each way. My fitness isn't horrendous, due to the amount of trail running i've been doing, but i've seen fitter guys than me struggle to transition to cycling enough times to know that i definitely need to get some practise in before i embarrass myself on the first climb Laughing .

I'm hoping to get out this Friday afternoon for a couple of hours, not sure i fancy my first ride back being on snow and ice though, with my undoubted skill fade. We'll see.

I saw a rider on the road climb up to the castle past the schloss hotel this afternoon in the snow. Wasn't any of you guys was it?

markfu

Back to top Go down

Post by airborne.s2000 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:50 pm

That was me. I did about 8 km in the snow, headed over to Kindsbach SV and back.
airborne.s2000
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by airborne.s2000 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:56 pm

My wife is heading out of town on Thursday, and I have the four day. Want to ride somewhere nice on Friday? We can head over to Rodalben. I promise to take it easy.
airborne.s2000
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by markfu on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:13 pm

airborne.s2000 wrote:That was me. I did about 8 km in the snow, headed over to Kindsbach SV and back.

A coincidence indeed!! The snow was like needles in my eyes today, and my hair was frozen by the time i got back to the car. How was the rest of the ride? And please excuse my ignorance, but what is SV?

I would love to join you at Rodalben, i've heard a lot about it, but i don't finish work until 1430, so it's not really do-able for me this week.

markfu

Back to top Go down

Post by airborne.s2000 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Riding one side of the F Trail only takes a couple hours, we could start at 1600.

The ride was OK; snow was really slick, not like the powder we had a few weeks ago.
airborne.s2000
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by markfu on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:42 pm

I think it's a step too far for my first time on some real singletrack in well over a year. I need to get my confidence up a bit, along with my hill legs before i attempt the F-Trail. It is definitely on the list though.

markfu

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:51 pm

markfu wrote:I think it's a step too far for my first time on some real singletrack in well over a year. I need to get my confidence up a bit, along with my hill legs before i attempt the F-Trail. It is definitely on the list though.

Mark, come out and Ride with us on the St. Paddy's day ride, conditioning will not be an issue...

Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by markfu on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:00 pm

I got the bike back today, so all being well I'll be blowing the cobwebs off tomorrow afternoon for an hour or two. Nothing too strenuous or techy in this snow and ice (I've still got bruises and a big scar from falling on some ice while out running a few weeks back).

I'd like to say i'll be there for the Paddys day ride, but i don't think i can fit in if i'm honest. We have a lot to sort in the house as we have family coming to stay in a couple of weeks, and next weekend is tied up with a trip up north.

I take it that the mid week rides will be starting up again once the clocks go forward?

markfu

Back to top Go down

Post by airborne.s2000 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:49 pm

Give me a call if you want a riding buddy. My wife headed off to Italy for the weekend, so my time is my own until Sunday evening.
airborne.s2000
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by ludwigsv on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:37 am

I'm right there with you Markfu, I'll get back from my fourth TDY since reporting to Germany in about two weeks. Airborne, I totally plan to hit you up for a Landstuhl ride in April. Also, I'm planning to attend the 06 April ride down south!
ludwigsv

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top