Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

November 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

Light Bicycle Group Buy?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Light Bicycle Group Buy?

Post by davide.taibi on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:33 pm

airborne.s2000 wrote:I am also considering ordering the rims with the spoke holes only cut through the first layer of the rim, leaving a continuous CF layer inside the rim, and using those fancy magnetically aligned nipples
I like this solution but who is able to assemble rims with this magnetic nipples?
This kind of rim should be stiffer and... tubeless Very Happy .
If you know any shop who can mount this magical nipples, I will go for this solution.

What about a group for buying hubs, spokes and assemble all wheels?
davide.taibi

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash on Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:35 pm

The idea of pulling nipples through the valve hole by magnet or otherwise was mythbusted by me and my calipers in the wider 26" carbon wheel thread on Mtbr several weeks ago. It just won't fit. Trad drilling is the only way for the mountain bike rims. The exception is for the deep-dish road wheels, that will work because there is plenty of headroom.

Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by PB Matrix on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:58 pm

News Flash:

Due to a PPP (Take it or be laid off) position being offered (their words) to me in Newport RI, I need to cancel my entire order.

I have about 45 days to move, maybe less........more to follow.

Eric
PB Matrix

Back to top Go down

Post by airborne.s2000 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:50 pm

PB Matrix: Sympathies (or congratulations) on your new job. Good luck with the move, and I certainly understand about the need to cancel your part.

Eurotrash: Thanks for the heads up on the magnetic nipples SNAFU, I will stay traditional.
airborne.s2000
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by PB Matrix on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:56 pm

The sooner I complete 2 years in CONUS, the sooner I can get back here..So, it is a good thing...
PB Matrix

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload on Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:20 am

eurotrash wrote:The idea of pulling nipples through the valve hole by magnet or otherwise was mythbusted by me and my calipers in the wider 26" carbon wheel thread on Mtbr several weeks ago. It just won't fit. Trad drilling is the only way for the mountain bike rims. The exception is for the deep-dish road wheels, that will work because there is plenty of headroom.

Is brass magnetic? I would assume there isn't enough nickel on a brass nipple to make it work either.
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload on Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:28 am

eurotrash wrote:At $2.30 a piece, I'll re-use spokes on a serviceable wheelset for a rim swap, and spare you the strengths and materials engineering lecture.
Check out JensonUSA for spokes. Their most expensive spokes are DT revolution and they $1.50. Double butted are about ten cents each less. Straight gauge are about a buck a spoke.
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash on Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:33 am

Sapim CX-ray. Mmm-mmm.

To use a magnet, you use a piece of old spoke or a steel insert made by Hozan. Nickel is non-Austinetic, it can't be picked up with a magnet.

Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by velo-doc on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:49 am

eurotrash wrote:Sapim CX-ray. Mmm-mmm.

To use a magnet, you use a piece of old spoke or a steel insert made by Hozan. Nickel is non-Austinetic, it can't be picked up with a magnet.

Ok...now I'm confused. I thought that "austenitic" was only applied to steel, since that is the process of heating a steel to change the crystal structure, which renders it non-magnetic. Nickel is actually used in the process of making of some stainless steel, which is austenitic. So wouldn't "non-austenitic" imply that it IS magnetic??

Just trying to keep it real here on the forum...we do need to maintain our high level of scientific integrity study
velo-doc
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Road_Rage on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:35 pm

velo-doc wrote:

Ok...now I'm confused. I thought that "austenitic" was only applied to steel, since that is the process of heating a steel to change the crystal structure, which renders it non-magnetic. Nickel is actually used in the process of making of some stainless steel, which is austenitic. So wouldn't "non-austenitic" imply that it IS magnetic??

Just trying to keep it real here on the forum...we do need to maintain our high level of scientific integrity study

Oh. Oh. You just opened up a can...
Road_Rage
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by airborne.s2000 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:22 pm

Here is the order I am placing, if there is an item with your name, and you don't like the order, let me know now! airborne dot s2000 at gmail dot com

2 wider (400g) 26er carbon rim in matte 3k, 32 hole (Mine)
2 wider (400g) 26er carbon rim in matte UD, 32 hole (Eurotrash)
1 Wheelset (420g 29er rim in matte UD, red nipples and hubs preferred, black acceptable) (Velo Doc)
1 Wheelset (420g 29er rim in matte UD, black pillar PSR X-Tra 1420 aero spokes w/black nipples, D712 hub for Shimano 10 speed with 10mm thru axle black preferred, red acceptable, front Cannondale Lefty hub, black or red to match rear hub, quoted price for this wheelset alone was USD689.) (Davide)
2 Water Bottle Cages, Matt UD, BC05 (Davide)
2 Water Bottle Cages, Glossy UD, BC06 (Mine)
1 Integrated road handlebar, 31.6, Glossy UD (Mine)
1 Wheelset (38mm road 700c clincher, Glossy UD, Front 20H, Rear 24H, Novatec Hubs (Shimano compatible)) (Mine)

I should have a price with shipping tomorrow. I will send PMs for prices.
airborne.s2000
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by davide.taibi on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:03 pm

Black hubs for me, not red ;-).
If they are red I will go for rims only ( red doesn't match my green and black flash)
davide.taibi

Back to top Go down

Post by velo-doc on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:52 pm

Road_Rage wrote:
velo-doc wrote:

Oh. Oh. You just opened up a can...

Ya, I was trying to open a can...but John didn't go for the bait! I have to come clean...I had no idea what "austenitic" was, so I let my friend Wikipedia edumacate me. Always fun to put it out there...but not as much fun as if he had blasted me with a 2 page primer on metallurgy!
velo-doc
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:19 pm

I started to... then I realized I made not one but two errors- first, the spelling, and second, I had my austenite and martensite flip-flopped in my head! When I think nickel, I'm usually thinking stainless. The time-temperature transformation is critical there, and the quick test is the magnet. I guess I've gotten rusty without my workshop to keep me sharp on metallurgy, pun definitely intended. So I cut bait! clown

Officer

Back to top Go down

Latest from LB

Post by airborne.s2000 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:20 pm

"Hello Robert,

The order is being manufactured, and the 38mm wheelset is finished.
For 29er wheelset, it can be finished next week.

Thanks,
Nancy"

So, at least another week before the package ships.
airborne.s2000
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload on Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:09 am

Did you end up getting the 23mm wide 38mm depth clinchers? Very interested in these wheels.
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by airborne.s2000 on Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:49 pm

The 29er wheels are 20mm depth, by 23mm outer (at least the two sets ordered were). The road wheels were 21mm width, 38mm depth, as I didn't realize they had 24mm depth.
airborne.s2000
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:52 pm

I think Matt wanted to know about the road wheels.

Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload on Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:30 am

I was asking about the road wheels. I see they are making a 23mm wide road wheel that is 38mm depth and 50mm depth. I am very tempted, but just don't know about the novatech hubs. What are your impressions? I am considering just getting the rims and building them in Chris King road hubs.

I asked Helen about the 24mm deep rims and she said they aren't advised for riders over 165 pounds.
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:12 am

I have a mixed impression on Novatec hubs. For a road bike, all that matters is that they roll smooth and are built to industry standard tolerances, right? Forget about replacement parts from a Chinese wholesaler, that is where the gamble comes in. Somewhere I read that they had Taiwanese bearings, but I also saw numerous photos of counterfeit German and Japanese bearings coming out of China... OK, so throw some Enduro or VXB cartridges in there and you probably have a nice hub. On the other side, for MTB use, I won't buy anything that isn't user serviceable, warrantied for M&W, and supported for replacement parts. At my weight and my riding style, I can't afford a catastrophic component failure. "Bearing" all of that in mind, most of our components have some Chinese aspect to them, and I have respect for the movement toward quality in Chinese manufacturing in the last few years.

Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload on Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:14 pm

That is what is making me lean towards picking up some King road hubs or DT240 and building them myself. I won't save money, but it will give some piece of mind. If I do get their wheels, I might do like you suggested and just throw in some Enduro bearings from the get go. I know a road wheel wont fail catastrophically with normal use, but replacing them when they are new is cleaner and you don't have to worry about creaky bearings in the middle of a long ride.
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by airborne.s2000 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:17 pm

If you plan on replacing the hub, then I would just buy the rims from Light Bicycle, or perhaps also buying the spokes from them (I like the spokes, and Brian agreed to send me another 12 for the drive side replacement, free no less). Then build out a nice wheel; that is what I am doing for the rims I bought for the Mojo.

airborne.s2000
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top