Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mission Statement

The K.M.C. Cycling Club is a diverse group of people from across the Kaiserslautern Military Community (KMC) brought together by a common interest in cycling and cycling advocacy. Whether through racing, group rides, community involvement or social events centered on cycling, K.M.C. Cycling's primary purpose is to further the sport of cycling in the KMC, and provide a valuable cycling outlet to its members. We are a not-for-profit organization that values diversity, friendship and, above all, a good ride.
Latest topics
» New landstuhl trail opening.
UST Wheels w/TR tires EmptyMon Oct 03, 2016 5:33 pm by Zenkem

» Forest Night Ride. "No Drop"
UST Wheels w/TR tires EmptyFri Sep 23, 2016 3:54 pm by Zenkem

» Winterberg bike park trip!
UST Wheels w/TR tires EmptyTue Sep 13, 2016 8:02 am by Justachillin2

» Lunch in France... (Sat 17Sep2016)
UST Wheels w/TR tires EmptyMon Sep 12, 2016 8:27 pm by Pritch

» Weekly Thursday NO DROP MTB group ride Gelterswoog 2016 season!
UST Wheels w/TR tires EmptyThu Sep 08, 2016 4:26 pm by Pritch

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Like Us
KMC Cycling Forums

UST Wheels w/TR tires

4 posters

Go down

UST Wheels w/TR tires Empty UST Wheels w/TR tires

Post by powerpro369 Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:40 am

I just purchased some WTB Laserdisc 29er Trail wheels only to find out that the tires I have are all tubeless ready w/o UST stamped on them. I have read a few forums that have had mixed reviews. Some say they work fine, while others complain about air burping, hard to mount, tire coming off during ride, etc... I am usually a firm believer on using strictly compatible matches but many of my favorite tires do not have the UST insignia on them. I also understand that the UST tires tend to be a bit heavier. I would hate to waste my money on more tires if I don't have to.

If the UST rims can work with TR tires...will I need anything special to make this work? The instructions on WTB's website states that I need to run WTB wheels with their tires and sealant. Go figure!

Please help!!!!
powerpro369

Back to top Go down

UST Wheels w/TR tires Empty Re: UST Wheels w/TR tires

Post by spookyload Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:04 am

TR tires will be fine on UST rims. I switched to TR on my Crossmax and it worked great. You might have to spend a bit more time sealing sidewalls with non UST, but it will be fine.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:11 pm

I don't know if this will help or just add more confusion but here's my 2€. I like running the Stans ZTR rims because they have the Clincher bead (they call it Bead Socket Technology or BST for short)...so, when shopping for tires I look for the Clincher bead tires. I've been running them for close to two years and have had no issues with burping or flats, you can almost run this type of setup with no sealant.

I'm not sure where the UST fits in to all of this because I have yet to get a clear definition as to what UST really is but I'm sure the tires I run are UST compatible even though there is no UST label...
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by spookyload Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:45 pm

90% of all tires sold to MTB riders are clincher. Tires are either clincher or tubular. Tubular tires have to be glued onto the rim. They have the tube sewn into the tire casing as one unit thus they are often referred to as sewups. They are very common in road racing, but no MTB riding. So, if it isnt a tubular it is a clincher. UST brought an improved bead on clincher tires, and it sounds like Stan's has it's own acronym for clincher beads now. A tubeless ready tire is a standard clincher tire casing with a UST style bead. A full blown UST tire usually has an extra layer in the casing to prevent air seeping through the sidewalls. Technically you don't have to use sealant in a UST tire, but you need to for TR tires. I use sealant in both types BTW. You will see other brands calling it Tube-Bliss and other names for TR tires.
spookyload
spookyload

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:47 pm

Read this article. It gets into how it all works a little. There is another one somewhere else that I saw, if I find it I'll post a link to it as well.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday--Wider-Rims-Are-Better-and-Why-Tubeless-Tires-Burp-.html

UST Wheels w/TR tires MavicUSTRimCrossSection
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:59 am

eurotrash wrote:Read this article. It gets into how it all works a little. There is another one somewhere else that I saw, if I find it I'll post a link to it as well.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Tech-Tuesday--Wider-Rims-Are-Better-and-Why-Tubeless-Tires-Burp-.html

Good Read...
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:18 am

Zenkem wrote:
Good Read...

Yeah, that was when I knew that I HAD to to get those Crossmax ST wheels onto my blue bike with the skinnier tires, and get the right rims for the bigger Nobby Nic and Fat Albert tires. Makes quite a difference!

So no problems with regular tires on UST rims, TLR on regular rims, and UST on ZTR rims so far. All of them mounted and seated with no sealant. I use glycerine/water mix instead of soapy water to seat, but found life a lot easier to inject sealant through the valve with an irrigation syringe after the bead pops.
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:37 am

eurotrash wrote:
Zenkem wrote:
Good Read...

...found life a lot easier to inject sealant through the valve with an irrigation syringe after the bead pops.

I prefer to seat the tire completely then open a small portion of the bead to scoop the sealant in...then rotate the wheel til the open bead is at the top...then re-seat...fairly quick process that works like a charm...
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by eurotrash Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:45 am

Surprised to hear that from someone who rides ZTR rims... they are a little oversized, and tires fit tight. Some folks have a tough time with UST tires in particular on ZTRs. I was able to mount mine without levers, but I have kung fu technique. I would need more than kung fu and plastic levers to open a portion of bead on a seated UST tire on a ZTR rim, so I went through the valves with the sealant. Found it so easy to do that I made it my preferred practice. This is a recent development, I always did it the other way before.
eurotrash
eurotrash
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:03 am

eurotrash wrote:Surprised to hear that from someone who rides ZTR rims... they are a little oversized, and tires fit tight. Some folks have a tough time with UST tires in particular on ZTRs. I was able to mount mine without levers, but I have kung fu technique. I would need more than kung fu and plastic levers to open a portion of bead on a seated UST tire on a ZTR rim, so I went through the valves with the sealant. Found it so easy to do that I made it my preferred practice. This is a recent development, I always did it the other way before.

Didn't think about that point!!! You are correct, cheap levers will not do the trick. I use the Cutter levers with the metal core that don't flex...
Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by powerpro369 Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:55 am

Thank you all for your help! Once I get some sealant I will be back in the game. Hope to see you all out at Neustat
powerpro369

Back to top Go down

Post by Zenkem Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:56 am

Good Read....I've been following a Thread on MTBR about "Tubeless and Beginners" and this link was posted about tire pressures...Enjoy!!!

http://m.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/trail-tech-mountain-bike-tire-pressure-all-you-need-to-know-36626/

[url=http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/trail-tech-how-to-set-up-tubeless-mountain-bike-tires-36897/]http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/trail-tech-how-to-set-up-tubeless-mountain-bike-tires-36897/[/url

Zenkem
Zenkem

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down